Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

New member here. I'm a U.S Citizen, soon to be married to a U.S Diplomat (Consular Officer). My wife-to-be's next 2-year post is in Sydney starting in Sept. 2011. Currently the plans for us is to get married and me joining her in Sydney. As far as I understand, I will have a diplomatic visa.

As amazing as this sounds, I can't help but to worry about what I will be doing there. I need to keep working. I have an American bachelors degree in Accounting with a few years of related experience.

Does anybody here know what the restrictions of a Diplomatic Visa are? Am I allowed employment? From the little research I've done, there seems to be a large demand for workers with accounting skills.

I'm hoping someone with knowledge and experience can chime in on this.
Also, how is the job market in Sydney? And how are work-eligible Americans regarded?

Finally, would I still need a Skilled Visa, even with a Diplomatic Visa to work?

Thanks in advance!

P

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Haven't had the experience of using one but it is the 406 - Government Agreement Visa (Subclass 406) that you need to have a look at.
Hopefully, no visa application for your wife has yet been approved for if so you'll need to make a separate application.
As for work rights, a partner as a secondary applicant will have the same rights as a primary applicant and so unless that visa stipulates you cannot work which I would very much doubt, it should not be an issue.
With experience, getting work in some area of accountancy should not be too difficult I'd expect even if you initially got a temporary appointment through an agency.

What about the US service itself, do they not offer spouses something and with the internet you could be doing some accountancy for them for anywhere, or even what with your work now, any chance of doing it remotely?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.