Australia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Prime Minister has announced a reduction in the numbers allowed to enter Australia from July 2021.

The numbers allowed to enter Australia, on commercial flights, will be halved from current numbers, for each State.

This means a reduction of overseas arrivals from 6,370 per week down to only 3,185 per week, while international borders are closed.

Reactions: aussiinlove

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also this is supposed to last until the 31 of August. They are thinking also of scrapping hotel quarantine for home selfquarantine, which I dont think its a good move as it is way more difficult to enforce, we got a lot of documented cases of people dodging selfquaratantine in Spain

Hope it doesnt affect my flights in november.

Have you heard anything about special provisions for vaccinated individuals?

P.D. is there any good Australian online newspaper that is not behind a paywall?

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also this is supposed to last until the 31 of August. They are thinking also of scrapping hotel quarantine for home selfquarantine, which I dont think its a good move as it is way more difficult to enforce, we got a lot of documented cases of people dodging selfquaratantine in Spain

Hope it doesnt affect my flights in november.

Have you heard anything about special provisions for vaccinated individuals?

P.D. is there any good Australian online newspaper that is not behind a paywall?
They are about to start a small trial for home quarantine for vaccinated arrivals.

Then see how that goes.

The scrapping of hotel quarantine for home selfquarantine is probably in stage 4, of these new proposals, when almost everyone is vaccinated. I think we are at stage 1 now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok, thank you for the info.

Hopefully we are going to get vaccinated in the next couple of weeks, it will be nice if we could quarantine at home instead of an hotel.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hopefully we are going to get vaccinated in the next couple of weeks, it will be nice if we could quarantine at home instead of an hotel.
The Pfizer vaccine works well for that, having only a 2 week period between shots to become fully vaccinated. Not like the 13 weeks for AstraZeneca.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to suggest the BBC News, but....

The BBC article said: From 14 July, Australia will accept just over 3,000 people a week - a measure likely to last until next year.

The PM said By 14 July, Australia will accept just over 3,000 people a week - a measure likely to last until next year.
The PM said that the states have to have it operating by the 14th, and they can do it from as soon as practical.
The States are the ones that have pushed for this, especially QLD and Vic, so I assume they will start ASAP.

The BBC also said "The announcement has sparked dismay among Australians who are overseas and separated from their families."
The PM said he will increase the repatriation flights for Australians returning home, with quarantine in Howard Springs, to balance out the numbers.

I guess the result will be the same total numbers arriving, but with more Australian Citizens now, compared to foreign passport holders.

A report, that I read yesterday, showed that more foreigners arrived in Australia than Australians, in recent months. With thousands of Australian still being blocked from getting home.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Pfizer vaccine works well for that, having only a 2 week period between shots to become fully vaccinated. Not like the 13 weeks for AstraZeneca.
In Spain people under 50 are not allowed to get vaccined with AstraZeneca, pretty sure I will have to choose between Pfizer and Janssen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was going to suggest the BBC News, but....

The BBC article said: From 14 July, Australia will accept just over 3,000 people a week - a measure likely to last until next year.

The PM said By 14 July, Australia will accept just over 3,000 people a week - a measure likely to last until next year.
The PM said that the states have to have it operating by the 14th, and they can do it from as soon as practical.
The States are the ones that have pushed for this, especially QLD and Vic, so I assume they will start ASAP.

The BBC also said "The announcement has sparked dismay among Australians who are overseas and separated from their families."
The PM said he will increase the repatriation flights for Australians returning home, with quarantine in Howard Springs, to balance out the numbers.

I guess the result will be the same total numbers arriving, but with more Australian Citizens now, compared to foreign passport holders.

A report, that I read yesterday, showed that more foreigners arrived in Australia than Australians, in recent months. With thousands of Australian still being blocked from getting home.
its so bizarre that the Aus goberment is not getting more repatriation flights

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its so bizarre that the Aus goberment is not getting more repatriation flights
It has been that there were not enough quarantine places to put them.

They are trying to expand the federal quarantine places.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I reached out to Julian Hill, MP. Regarding this and my personal situation. He shared our story, which I assume is very similar to many on here, in the second half of a Facebook video post: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=351980222954839&id=100044285926708

Please take a look and share around. With any hope someone with a position in the current government will see it and take it into account. As I said, "...we are one in a sea of many".

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

An update on this.

The trial is expected to start in September.

There will be about 100 participants, mainly Defence force personnel and Olympians who live in South Australia.

The must all have been fully vaccinated in Australia.

The can only have been to Green countries, ie: only low risk countries.

Reactions: aussiesteve

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone have any stats on the amount of people who are trying to get into Australia vs the amount allowed? I haven't done much research and I'm curious to know how many times people have flights cancelled before they actually got it. I wonder if it would be smarter for me to try to book flights 4 or 5 months before my first Entry to make sure I make it there in time?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think there are any reliable stats on that because the number of people trying to get into Australia changes all the time. Some people change their plans; exemptions are being approved; there are people leaving Australia that decide to come back etc.
As for flight cancellations, I think that mostly depends where you are flying from and if you booked economy or business class.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't think there are any reliable stats on that because the number of people trying to get into Australia changes all the time. Some people change their plans; exemptions are being approved; there are people leaving Australia that decide to come back etc.
As for flight cancellations, I think that mostly depends where you are flying from and if you booked economy or business class.
I guess, but I figured if we knew the percentages from this last year it could kind if give us a general idea. I know numbers change, but with known info you can kind of get the average. I've found info for cancelled domestic flights, but none for international. I've heard that airlines are cancelling economy to upsell to business class. I would hope that's not true and I guess that could be a rumor... but I wouldn't put it past people these days >_<.

Still trying to figure out when the flights get cancelled. I wonder how far in advance you are told it's cancelled, and if your flight to Australia can be cancelled while you're in another country waiting for your transfer, lol. No idea how it works. I've had my flights changed in the middle of our journey but never cancelled. Asked on here, and haven't had a response so I don't think people know.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've heard that airlines are cancelling economy to upsell to business class. I would hope that's not true and I guess that could be a rumor... but I wouldn't put it past people these days
That is definitely happening.

When an airline is limited to 40 passengers, they need business class fares to make the flight worthwhile.

Otherwise, they have to cancel the flight on financial grounds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is definitely happening.

When an airline is limited to 40 passengers, they need business class fares to make the flight worthwhile.

Otherwise, they have to cancel the flight on financial grounds.
Ahh ok I see. All the articles I was reading sounded more like conspiracy theories lol but how you put it guess it makes sense. Unfortunate for people who are not loaded.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still trying to figure out when the flights get cancelled. I wonder how far in advance you are told it's cancelled, and if your flight to Australia can be cancelled while you're in another country waiting for your transfer, lol.
Airlines might have to cancel some tickets, or entire flights, very quickly at times when Australia imposes new limits, due to COVID outbreaks. This could be at any time before takeoff.

I am sure they would find quarantine places for those already in the air, even if it means flying in to a different state. I am pretty sure I heard of that happening a while ago.

Getting meaningful average numbers right now would be just about impossible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Airlines might have to cancel some tickets, or entire flights, very quickly at times when Australia imposes new limits, due to COVID outbreaks. This could be at any time before takeoff.

I am sure they would find quarantine places for those already in the air, even if it means flying in to a different state. I am pretty sure I heard of that happening a while ago.

Getting meaningful average numbers right now would be just about impossible.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
42 Posts
An update on this.

The trial is expected to start in September.

There will be about 100 participants, mainly Defence force personnel and Olympians who live in South Australia.

The must all have been fully vaccinated in Australia.

The can only have been to Green countries, ie: only low risk countries.
Thanks for the Info, I dont think Spain will be on the green list, but our flight is departing from London...so who knows...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts