Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I have been granted Australian Visa (Sub Class 175) today. Time to enter Australia is before 07-July-2012 (although my medical was on 06-Sept-2011). Problem here is, that i am still willing to spend at least 2 more years with my current company. I am willing to travel to Australia before July 2012, but not willing to stay there for another 2 years.
My question is:
1. For How long, can i stay outside Australia after expiry of my initial entry period i.e. July 2012?
2. Can anyone please explain me the rules to Permanent Residence as how much time is required to be spent within Australia to obtain PR in allocated 5 years?
3. Restriction to stay within Australia to keep my visa valid will only apply to myself or my dependents too?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hi,

Australian Citizenship - Changes to the citizenship residence requirement on 1 July 2010

To apply for citizenship:
- You must have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before applying, including 1 year as a permanent resident, and
- You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 1 year during the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying.

This applies to any family member wanting to apply for citizenship.

If you are outside Australia when the 5 years is up, you must apply for a resident return visa - if you've spent too much time out of Aus you won't be granted the visa. But you only need this visa if on the day that your 5 years expires, you are outside the country, if you are in Australia this doesn't apply.
Five Year Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155)

Here are some variations to the residency requirement for citizenship, see under "ministerial discretions":
Australian Citizenship - Variation to the residence requirement

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi SarahM,
Thanks a lot for a prompt response.
Your reply was really very helpful for me and many confusions are clear now.

Thanks again!!!.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.