Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All

My wife was granted tourist visa to Australia recently. Just trying to understand some conditions on it. The visa was granted on 25th October 2017 with multiple entries and says Must Not arrive after 25th October 2018 and stay period is 3 months from date of each arrival..
I have 3 questions please-
1)There is no initial entry date on my visa.Does that mean she can immediately travel to Australia?

2) Also can she come and exit Australia till 25th October 2018 multiple times with each duration not more than 3 months? For example - She lands in Australia on 5th November 2017 and stay max till 5 Feb 2018, exit country and again come back on 15th Feb 2018 and stay till 5 May 2018 and so on until 25th October 2018? Please help

3)Also She DOES NOT have no further stay condition(8503) on my visa. So can she apply for next visa before current visa expires from Australia without having to exit country?
The only 2 conditions on her visa are 8101(No work) and 8201(maximum 3 months study). Please help. Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Mania and Jeremy for your kind help.If I apply for her spouse visa(820) once she is in Australia will she get her bridging visa with work rights immediately or do we have to wait till 25th October 2018 to get bridging?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Note that the Department might question the visa holder at the airport if they keep on coming back are a very short stay outside Australia. They are suspicious of people who they think are working here.
Thank you Jeremy for your kind help.If I apply for her spouse visa(820) once she is in Australia will she get her bridging visa with work rights immediately or do we have to wait till 25th October 2018 to get bridging?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes to all.

Remember that a 3 month period would end the day before so 5th Nov - 4th Feb is 3 calendar months.

Also if you arrive 24 October 2018 you will have 3 months f rom then, it isn't an expirey date.
Thank you Mania for your kind help.If I apply for her spouse visa(820) once she is in Australia will she get her bridging visa with work rights immediately or do we have to wait till 25th October 2018 to get bridging?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Yes to all.

Remember that a 3 month period would end the day before so 5th Nov - 4th Feb is 3 calendar months.

Also if you arrive 24 October 2018 you will have 3 months f rom then, it isn't an expirey date.
Thank you Mania for your kind help.If I apply for her spouse visa(820) once she is in Australia will she get her bridging visa with work rights immediately or do we have to wait till 25th October 2018 to get bridging?
Once you apply for the 820 and a BVA is granted it doesn't come into effect until the end of the current 3 month period. You effectively need to overstay the 3 months and the BVA will kick in (don't overstay unless the 820 has been applied for).

If you leave and come back this will start the clock ticking again.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Oh and just a suggestion - have your wife make her decision about an 820 application when she is here, if she was to mention that was her intention to Immigration then she may find her self refused at the port of entry...

Likewise carrying a bag full of tools of her trade will potentially raise eyebrows during a secondary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and just a suggestion - have your wife make her decision about an 820 application when she is here, if she was to mention that was her intention to Immigration then she may find her self refused at the port of entry...

Likewise carrying a bag full of tools of her trade will potentially raise eyebrows during a secondary.
Thank you for the suggestion Mania. So the best bet is to say that she is just here for tourism purposes and intends to go back within three months(not mentioning the intention to apply for 820)?
Sorry I did not understand bag full of her trade part. can you please explain that also.Thank you

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion Mania. So the best bet is to say that she is just here for tourism purposes and intends to go back within three months(not mentioning the intention to apply for 820)?
Sorry I did not understand bag full of her trade part. can you please explain that also.Thank you
Correct. If you are coming in on a tourist visa you are here to visit family and friends and see the sights, nothing else. Coming in to apply for an 820 would be against what the visa was granted for and risks rejection at the port.

Bag full of the tools of her trade - If she is a plumber for instance, bringing all of her plumbing tools on a tourist holiday would look very suspicious. If her intention is to come in on a visitors visa and then apply for a 820 she may be inclined to bring things other then the usual tourist items. If she gets stopped at secondary and is carrying unusual items she may be subject to further questioning or a refusal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correct. If you are coming in on a tourist visa you are here to visit family and friends and see the sights, nothing else. Coming in to apply for an 820 would be against what the visa was granted for and risks rejection at the port.

Bag full of the tools of her trade - If she is a plumber for instance, bringing all of her plumbing tools on a tourist holiday would look very suspicious. If her intention is to come in on a visitors visa and then apply for a 820 she may be inclined to bring things other then the usual tourist items. If she gets stopped at secondary and is carrying unusual items she may be subject to further questioning or a refusal.
Thank you for your reply Mania. Really appreciate that. Can I please ask couple of ques more.

Can the department refuse to grant bridging visa if I apply 820 just before first 3 months entry in Australia on tourist visa is about to end(since they can say that visa is valid till 25th October 2018 and my understanding is that bridging is only given if the current visa is totally expired)

What are the initial set of documents required to lodge a 820 visa. There is a long list of documents but what are the initial required ones to lodge it(Assuming 820 grant takes a long time and rest of the documents can be slowly uploaded time to time)? Thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thank you for your reply Mania. Really appreciate that. Can I please ask couple of ques more.

Can the department refuse to grant bridging visa if I apply 820 just before first 3 months entry in Australia on tourist visa is about to end(since they can say that visa is valid till 25th October 2018 and my understanding is that bridging is only given if the current visa is totally expired)
replied to you here. I have never heard of them refusing to grant BV if you have applied for a partner visa onshore.

What are the initial set of documents required to lodge a 820 visa. There is a long list of documents but what are the initial required ones to lodge it(Assuming 820 grant takes a long time and rest of the documents can be slowly uploaded time to time)? Thanks
It is recommended you upload all your supporting evidence at time of application (within 3-4 weeks max), except the medical and police clearance(s) which they are required to ask you for. If your application is lacking evidence (other than medical and police clearances) even a couple of months after applying and a case officer looks at it, they are under no obligation to ask you for evidence and have been known to deny visas under these circumstances (a good way for them to meet processing targets). In other words don't assume that because the processing time tends to be long, that you have 12-18 months to upload all the required evidence. They could look at your application at any time and based on the evidence you have provided make a decision.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.