Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner arrived in Australia on a subclass 300 visa on the 5th of September 2017. We got married on the 16th of September and about to submit the 820/801 visa. We got told that we cannot apply for Medicare, Work or study while on bridging visa A. Does that mean that she has to wait until 820 is granted or can she apply for Medicare while waiting for 820 to be granted.

Will appreciate any bit of help.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
A lady at our local immigration center. She also told us we had to wait 8 years to get an Australian citizenship. Surely this can?t be right
If the new citizenship laws go through, you're looking at 12 months plus before the sc. 820 is processed, another 12 months before the sc. 801 paperwork can be lodged, then 12 to 18 months before the sc. 801 is granted. Then she needs to be on the sc. 801 for 4 years (instead of 1 year under the old rules)before she can apply for citizenship , which may take another year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lady at our local immigration center. She also told us we had to wait 8 years to get an Australian citizenship. Surely this can?t be right
If the new citizenship laws go through, you're looking at 12 months plus before the sc. 820 is processed, another 12 months before the sc. 801 paperwork can be lodged, then 12 to 18 months before the sc. 801 is granted. Then she needs to be on the sc. 801 for 4 years (instead of 1 year under the old rules)before she can apply for citizenship , which may take another year.
Does that mean that while she is waiting for the 820 and is on the BVA that she cannot apply for Medicare Work or study?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Does that mean that while she is waiting for the 820 and is on the BVA that she cannot apply for Medicare Work or study?
No it doesn't mean that. He is referring to citizenship only. As a person holding PMV 300 your wife has full work rights and full study rights but for study would have to pay 'international student' fees (i.e no subsidy or loan). Once she had lodged the application for partner visa visa subclass 820 she will qualify for Medicare (even before the 820 is granted or the bridging visa starts). She can study too, but still under the 'international student' provisions (i.e no fee subsidy or loan). I know because my husband is on a PMV 300 right now but we have already applied for partner visa subclass 820. He already has Medicare and has been working since the day he arrived in the country on a PMV 300 visa. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it doesn't mean that. He is referring to citizenship only. As a person holding PMV 300 your wife has full work rights and full study rights but for study would have to pay 'international student' fees (i.e no subsidy or loan). Once she had lodged the application for partner visa visa subclass 820 she will qualify for Medicare (even before the 820 is granted or the bridging visa starts). She can study too, but still under the 'international student' provisions (i.e no fee subsidy or loan). I know because my husband is on a PMV 300 right now but we have already applied for partner visa subclass 820. He already has Medicare and has been working since the day he arrived in the country on a PMV 300 visa. Hope that helps.
Yes that helps a lot. I appreciate you taking the time for that.
Her subclass 300 expires on the 7th of Nov 2017 and was worried that she wasn?t able to apply for Medicare and also English tuition. I thought that also things may have changed in 2017 and wasn?t able to do any of that

·
Registered
359 Posts
Her subclass 300 expires on the 7th of Nov 2017 and was worried that she wasn?t able to apply for Medicare and also English tuition. I thought that also things may have changed in 2017 and wasn?t able to do any of that
She can apply for Medicare as soon as she applies for the 820 visa. The eligibility for the Adult Migrant English Program classes doesn't start until she is granted the 820 visa. Sometimes these visas are granted very quickly when the applicant is already on a PMV 300 (when they're not seems to take at least a year, or more). My friend applied for 820 visa from pmv 300 mid-May and got it in 6 or 7 weeks. However my husband is still waiting almost 4 months now :(.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She can apply for Medicare as soon as she applies for the 820 visa. The eligibility for the Adult Migrant English Program classes doesn't start until she is granted the 820 visa. Sometimes these visas are granted very quickly when the applicant is already on a PMV 300 (when they're not seems to take at least a year, or more). My friend applied for 820 visa from pmv 300 mid-May and got it in 6 or 7 weeks. However my husband is still waiting almost 4 months now
Will she need to attach any information after submitting or will the SC300 cover all that. I submitted and made the payment a few hours ago and it mentioned there is no attachments needed yet.

Well I hope your husbands 820 is granted as soon as possible

·
Registered
359 Posts
Will she need to attach any information after submitting or will the SC300 cover all that. I submitted and made the payment a few hours ago and it mentioned there is no attachments needed yet.

Well I hope your husbands 820 is granted as soon as possible
I hate to tell you but you have to submit nearly everything as if it's a new application, except from the time your PMV 300 was granted. Minimum application requirements include 2 form 888 (statement from Australian citizen) and the marriage certificate so I would recommend getting those, as a minimum, uploaded as soon as possible. Also try and get the identity documents uploaded again as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will she need to attach any information after submitting or will the SC300 cover all that. I submitted and made the payment a few hours ago and it mentioned there
I hate to tell you but you have to submit nearly everything as if it's a new application, except from the time your PMV 300 was granted. Minimum application requirements include 2 form 888 (statement from Australian citizen) and the marriage certificate so I would recommend getting those, as a minimum, uploaded as soon as possible. Also try and get the identity documents uploaded again as well. Good luck.
I will attach everything that I can by tomorrow. Thank you for your help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.