Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hope someone can clarify this for me:

I am calculating my points for the general skilled visa. I have a problem with the calcaulation of experience and qualification.

I have been assessed by ACS and found to have an AFQ Bachelor Degree equivalent with a major in computer science. However I only got the degree in December 2010. Can I use these 15 points? The reason i ask is because I have full-time work experience for 13+ years going back to 1999. I am claiming 15 points for the experience (8years) can I also claim for the degree given that I did it while working? Someone told me that I can't claim both - or if I claim a degree then my work experience will only be counted from after the date of completion of the degree i.e Jan 2011.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Daniel.

·
Super Moderator
9,748 Posts
Hi Daniel -

It can be very confusing - there are different rules for the skills assessment and the points test.

DIAC only counts relevant work experience for the points test AFTER you get the qualification necessary for that occupation. This is a major problem for people who get a degree later in their career, after they're already worked in the field for a time.

The skills assessment people offer an RPL option where you can get a positive skills assessment based on work experience alone and they ignore the degree - ACS offers this if you have 6 years of work experience closely related to the occupation you choose. So it sounds like either way you'll end up with a positive skills assessment from ACS - did your current assessment cover work and degree, or was it the 485 visa assessment (or some other type of assessment) that only looks at the degree?

The info you got was correct - if you claim the degree, then you can only claim for points work experience after you earned the degree.

Best,

Mark Northam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Mark - that was very helpful!

Yes I did get a positive RPL assessment from ACS. I will go with the experience only for 15 points and disregard the bachelor degree for now. Thanks again.

Daniel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mark,

It occurs to me that I did not answer your question about the type of assessment correctly. Here is the extract from my ACS assesment:

Your skills have been assessed to be suitable for migration under 261312 (Developer Programmer) of
the ANZSCO Code.
Your qualification has been assessed as follows:
Your Bachelor of Computer Applications from Indira Gandhi National Open University completed
December 2010 has been assessed as comparable to an AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in
computing
Your work experience has been calculated as follows on the basis of full time employment of at least
20hrs per week:
Dates: 05/99 - 12/12 (13yrs 7mths)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.