Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, wondering if I could get some advice on this - the high commission tried to call me today to confirm something regarding my daughters visa , they then called my husband and told him that they are about to approve his and my daughters ( both British passports ) but they have until the 8 of March 2018 to get their passports stamped in oz !!! I am shocked at how little time they have given us, it’s not so easy to just go to Australia with a 3 year old .
They told him we could ask for an extension till Sep but would have to redo police clearance in the Uk

We submitted everything 12 months ago and waited till they asked us for the police clearance and medicals which they did in Feb and we must have submitted in March .
I’m really annoyed as we had plans for holidays etc next year plus if we go in eithe March or Sep we can only do 2 weeks because my husband can’t take 1 month till Dec .

I thought we had 2 years once they got approval to get their visas stamped to and 5 years after to immigrate

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi everyone, wondering if I could get some advice on this - the high commission tried to call me today to confirm something regarding my daughters visa , they then called my husband and told him that they are about to approve his and my daughters ( both British passports ) but they have until the 8 of March 2018 to get their passports stamped in oz !!! I am shocked at how little time they have given us, it's not so easy to just go to Australia with a 3 year old .
They told him we could ask for an extension till Sep but would have to redo police clearance in the Uk

We submitted everything 12 months ago and waited till they asked us for the police clearance and medicals which they did in Feb and we must have submitted in March .
I'm really annoyed as we had plans for holidays etc next year plus if we go in eithe March or Sep we can only do 2 weeks because my husband can't take 1 month till Dec .

I thought we had 2 years once they got approval to get their visas stamped to and 5 years after to immigrate
When were their medicals and background check done? That could be the factor - they try to get you in before the year is up on the background especially.
We have two littles.
I am the odd one out so our plan is for me to go solo from applying offshore to Aus to get my stamp... set up banking and hire a real estate agent etc (complete all nitty gritty) for about 10 days at which point I will return to my country of origin and get everything packed up with our own timeline in mind.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
The validity date of the medicals and police certificates will determine the deadline for first entry. Personally I’d go and validate the visas as soon as possible. They got PR ( I presume ?) and they even offered an extension ( better get that in writing!). You should be celebrating!

Reactions: tijanaoc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am pleased we are at the end of it but I don’t think it’s reasonable to give us 3 months to get to Australia with a toddler people work etc and Australia is not just around the corner.
They asked us for the medicals and clearance in Feb of this year , we did everything as soon as the asked but it’s taken a long t8me which is why we are not left with much time ,
Good idea about asking for it 8n writing , I’m going to call them on Tuesday because the lady is not in on Monday and see where we stand .
Thank you for your replies, I thought we had 2 years after we got approved to get visa stamped and that’s why this was such a shock .
We still don’t have the visas yet, they just called for some sort of question for me regarding my daughter and giving authorisation which I will on Tuesday then I suppose it won’t take long after that since they are now running out of time and everything expires soon

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Don’t expect “ reasonable” from DIBP. There are fixed procedures for everything, with little leeway. Once you’re over the shock, you should start organising a little holiday down-under to validate the visas. There’s no way around it.

If you include a stop- over in Singapore or Hong Kong it’s not too bad a trip. Dubai is another option, but my preferred stop-over place is Singapore. You can then take a direct flight to any of the major cities, including Cairns of course, which is a great place to unwind for a while .

I would not rely on any verbal advice you may have received, so make sure you either get the extension in writing or meet the original deadline.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I am pleased we are at the end of it but I don't think it's reasonable to give us 3 months to get to Australia with a toddler people work etc and Australia is not just around the corner.
They asked us for the medicals and clearance in Feb of this year , we did everything as soon as the asked but it's taken a long t8me which is why we are not left with much time ,
Good idea about asking for it 8n writing , I'm going to call them on Tuesday because the lady is not in on Monday and see where we stand .
Thank you for your replies, I thought we had 2 years after we got approved to get visa stamped and that's why this was such a shock .
We still don't have the visas yet, they just called for some sort of question for me regarding my daughter and giving authorisation which I will on Tuesday then I suppose it won't take long after that since they are now running out of time and everything expires soon
I'm not sure where you got the idea you'd have two YEARS to validate your visa. I've never, ever heard of anyone being given that long. In fact, 3 months is pretty typical. Are you sure you aren't confusing that with something else? I've seen people given LESS than 3 months before. I mean, heck, my "must enter by" date was three weeks from visa grant if I remember correctly (though Immi knew I already had plane tickets for a few days after, which was probably why).

Like was said above, it depends on the validity of your police check and medicals. So there's no way it would ever be longer than 12 months, I believe, since those are only typically valid for a max of 12 months.

I'm wondering if you're slightly confusing the validation date with the requirements for the Return Resident Visa, where people often talk about being required to have lived in Australia for 2 years of the 5 year validity of the travel facility of their PR visa.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Since you are Australian why did you not apply for Australian citizenship by decent for your daughter instead of getting her a visa? That way then your husband can make a quick visit and come back without having to do the long journey with your daughter.

It is quite normal to get short periods of time to make the entry into Australia. DIBP assume if you apply for a partner visa you are ready to move to Australia Most people give their 4 weeks notice (or however long it is) and then move to Australia after that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Since you are Australian why did you not apply for Australian citizenship by decent for your daughter instead of getting her a visa? That way then your husband can make a quick visit and come back without having to do the long journey with your daughter.

It is quite normal to get short periods of time to make the entry into Australia. DIBP assume if you apply for a partner visa you are ready to move to Australia Most people give their 4 weeks notice (or however long it is) and then move to Australia after that.
I was curious about same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was living in Australia when I heard about the 2 years so maybe I got that mixed up, I will speak to them on Tuesday and see what they have to say, I think if we redo the police clearance we can buy a couple of months I hope, obviously if we can’t then before the 8/3/2018 is what we will have to do.
My daughter is not my biological child so I still have to apply for a visa for her, she is just not the best on a plane at mom but we would have no choice so we will have to suffer through it and so will the other passengers lol.
I still think this is unreasonable for people to get to Australia in such a short time, but like all of you are saying that’s the way the cookie crumbles. I will stop in Dubai to break it up.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I still think this is unreasonable for people to get to Australia in such a short time, but like all of you are saying that's the way the cookie crumbles. I will stop in Dubai to break it up.
It's tied up in the legislation.The application is approved against certain criteria at a certain point in time, so if you don't set time limits on the validity periods of the major criteria (like English skills, health, character, skills assessments etc.),the system would become unworkable.

Not sure if it is mentioned anywhere in the factsheets or booklets,but they should probably make it clearer to people from the start, so they know what to expect.

Reactions: Pixcou

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to give everyone an update to what happened next, I spoke to person in charge of our case and she confirmed that we had until 8/3/2018 to get to aust to get passport stamped but they had a 3 month wiggle room and gave us until the 8 June . Our tickets are booked for May because my husband could get holidays At that point .
Thanks everyone for replying and I’m now looking forward to goin home and visit my family and hopefully immigrate soon too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.