Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an Indian and intend to go to Australia to pursue an MBA. For this I would be applying for an education loan. However, I would also like to take my girlfriend along with me. We have both being staying together for around 2 years now. Current plan is to take her on a student visa too but the main intention is not to make her do an MBA too, but to accompany me so we can stay together in Australia. Problem is, her parents don't support our relation and hence are against this move and will not stand by her for a loan. This means a financial burden on us to pay her fees.

Is there any way for me to go as a student and take her along as a partner ? Few things did come to my mind, but would appreciate any/all suggestions on this.

1.) I go as a student and put her as a de-facto partner in the visa application. I'm not aware of the compications that may arise and what's the probability of this getting approved or rejected.

2.) Both go as students together and get married in Australia after a few months. She would then cancel her student visa and apply for a spouse visa. This way we just pay a part of the fees till the time she gets her dependent visa and not the entire amount. Not sure if this is legal and if there are any complications.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
She would then cancel her student visa and apply for a spouse visa.
A fatal error.

There was a time,not long ago when student applications form the sub continent were routinely (90%) refused, regardless of the merits of the case.

If you are planning to study in Australia to enhance your future visa prospects do not rely on advice from course providers or 'education agents.'

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for advice about your best strategy?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with Westly. Your situation sounds somewhat complex because you are thinking beyond just yourself and your current studies. For proper planning for both you and your girlfriend, please engage the services of a migration agent. There are some who do a free initial consultation to help you understand your options.

Best wishes with everything!

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
That is a very large loan! Do you have any idea of the costs involved?

One person needs to be an Australian to apply for a Partner Visa (fee alone for Partner Visa is $7,000).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Westly...The ideas mentioned above were my own and have not taken advice on this from any education agents yet...It's just that i'm stuck at a crossroad right now and confused in which direction to head..

Assuming that we both get a student visa and head off to Aus, I don't want to reach there to realize there were 'better' options I had and later regret about not using them...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Binfeng...Actually my situation is pretty easy if we both have to go as students..If I decided any other option, that's where it gets complex as you mentioned...I also intend keep in mind future visa prospects as mentioned by Westly...

Can you suggest any agents who would do a free initial consultation ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a very large loan! Do you have any idea of the costs involved?

One person needs to be an Australian to apply for a Partner Visa (fee alone for Partner Visa is $7,000).
The cost is not as high as the fees we would have to pay to the University for a 2 year study course :rolleyes:

This is not a partner visa, this is a dependent visa..Students can take their spouse or de-facto partners on a dependent visa...:cool:

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
As in another thread, often student fees are due even if student visa is cancelled it is in the signed agreement.

"She would then cancel her student visa and apply for a spouse visa."

That sorry to me, read as you wrote it.

You would need declare your partner as accompanying you before you put your application for a student visa in not after.

You should really speak to a Registered Migration Agent and I exactly mean a "Registered Migration Agent" there is a big difference.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks Binfeng...Actually my situation is pretty easy if we both have to go as students..If I decided any other option, that's where it gets complex as you mentioned...I also intend keep in mind future visa prospects as mentioned by Westly...

Can you suggest any agents who would do a free initial consultation ?
we do a free initial consultation. just head to our website and complete the contact form. thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.