Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My partner will be pursuing her masters degree in Australia starting in February. She will be applying for a 500 visa shortly. I would like to accompany and financially support her so I set out to find work with an employer that would be willing to sponsor me.

I've received an offer from an employer that sponsors international applications regularly. I believe them to be an approved business sponsor and the position to have been successfully nominated many times before. I am an IT consultant with a degree in Computer Science.

My goal is to be able to start work within the next 2-3 months. Based on my research, I have come up with three potential options:

1. Apply for a 457 while in Canada and hope for a speedy processing time

2. Apply as a de facto partner on the 500 visa - this can be difficult as we do not have very much evidence of co-habitation, most everything is in my name

3. Apply for a 417 Working Holiday visa, and then lodge the application for a 457 on shore in Australia. Will this allow me to legally work for 6 months while waiting on the outcome of the 457?

I'm not sure if there are other options, but this is what I've come up with so far.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
A migration agent can assess better to see what other options you may have, and to discuss what's the best strategy.

But essentially, #3 will allow you to work for the employer while waiting onshore for the 457. Both you and your partner should make sure to mention each other in your applications as this helps establish the relationship history, even if you don't include each other as de facto dependents.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will most definitely consult an RMA - I have an appointment set up for this week. I am just trying to do as much research as possible ahead of time.

Are there any issues with entering on a 417 and then transferring to a 457 or even a 500 once we have a few more months of living together under our belts?

I don't want to do anything that will hinder my chances of staying in Australia for the next 2-3 years. Also, I am not sure if it is relevant to the 417, but I would need to sign the employment contract while in Canada.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Would we be right in assuming this is your first 417 and not your second? - Second 417 tend to have a no further stay condition that you will need to overcome.

My route into Australia was 417, 417, 457, 820 (801 pending).

Signing the contract in Canada is not relevant to the 417.

It is worth mentioning that if you do go that route that you may not be eligable for a second 417 further down the line if you don't complete qualifying works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct - this would be my first time in Australia.

Another concern is if I enter on a 417, the 457 will be abolished by the time I can apply for it (March 2018 or later).

My main goal is to begin working as soon as possible, and the 457 poses a bit of a risk with timing.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Correct - this would be my first time in Australia.

Another concern is if I enter on a 417, the 457 will be abolished by the time I can apply for it (March 2018 or later).

My main goal is to begin working as soon as possible, and the 457 poses a bit of a risk with timing.
Nothing prevents you from applying for both visas now.

If the 457 is granted first you cancel the 417 application.

If the 457 is granted second it will supersede the 417 and no further action need be taken. (As per above you will probably be ineligible for a second 417 visa if you needed it due to having not completed qualifying work).

As per your previous post, defo worth a consult to make an action plan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting - I did not know you could apply for multiple visas concurrently.

All things considered (full time job, partner studying on a 500 visa, etc.), would I qualify for a 417 as a "young person who wants to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year"?

Would the fact that I also applied for a 457 not raise any red flags?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
A young person that wants to work and holiday. More then likely, I'm sure you want to see the sights and visit your partner and need a way to support yourself right :) .

Applying for a 457 shortly after - you realised that you would like to make your stay more permanent and as such a 417 will no longer suit the purpose. Your eligable for the visa and can fulfil the conditions so applied for that one too :).

As your going to get a consult they will be able to guide you on the exact track and best way to proceed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Makes sense to me.

Yes, I have an appointment set for Thursday with an RMA.

Does anyone have experience with adding a de facto partner to a 500 visa without being able to prove 12 months of cohabitation? We can definitely show more than 12 months of being together, just not living together as everything is in my name.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wanted to update the forum.

We applied for a 500 visa with myself as a de facto partner and were approved. We provided joint utility bills, statutory declarations, misc online order invoices, joint travel itineraries, pictures/online posts, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.