Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Is there any way of checking what stage the application is at on the second stage partner visa? My son has tried calling immigration to no avail. If he can get his pr through in next couple of weeks he can save money on something. Any help appreciated.
Most applications can be processed in a matter of days, even hours.The application is probably just sitting in a queue somewhere with nothing happening to it and waiting for someone to process it.

If he has a valid reason for priority processing, his partner could contact her local MP and see if they can assist.

Calling the Department will get you nowhere.

Reactions: Ejona

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
This is interesting! I was not aware that local MPs can do something about individual migration visas. How do they assist with the process? :)
If there are compelling/ compassionate circumstances,intractable technical problems or obfuscation on the part of the Department, a good MP can contact the Department or use his internal contacts to resolve matters.

If the application is within standard processing times and there is no particular reason for urgency, they will usually not intervene.

My local MP is very active and supportive in deserving migration cases and has assisted me several times with Ministerial Intervention requests. He also assists with employer sponsorship issues and the like.

So don't be afraid to call your local MP's office and ask for assistance when it is warranted. Be nice, be polite and be well prepared with relevant documentation and a realistic case for assistance.

According to my local MP, most of the issues they have to deal with on behalf of local constituents relate to Immigration and Social Services.

Reactions: niccole
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.