Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Could someone please give us some advise of how to proceed with this?
My mother's Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa 143 visa expired more than 15 months ago. My brother who was lodging this visa/contact person on this application was going through his bitter divorce case through the court system and forgot about this. He also did not get any email from Immigration that the visa was expiring or to lodge the second part. When my brother did lodge it after 15 months (after being notified by Medicare), he was asked for reason for late lodgement and then this week her got a reply saying visa is cancelled as it wasn't applied for in time. They have given the option to go to tribunal but after speaking to a migration agent, we were advised that tribunal would reject this too due to being late.
I'm just hoping if anyone would have any advise on what we can do.
My mother is now aged 73, if she goes back to country of origin, then i'm not sure if we will be seeing her again.
Any help please?

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I don’t quite understand how your mother’s 143 visa “ expired”.

If she is in Australia on a substantive visa without “ no further stay” condition, she could apply for an aged ( contributory) parent visa.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I'm so sorry, I put the incorrect visa number there.
She was on Contributory Parent Visa 173. Which is the temporary one with 2years stay.
So what is her situation now? Is she still in Australia? If yes, what is her visa status? How is her health?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's in good health. Initially immigration asked my brother why he lodged it late and he didn't tell them about divorce case going on at the time. So Immigration has given my mother a 21 day visa is she wants to appeal. I checked with a local migration agent and he said we can appeal to tribunal but high chance it will be rejected.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
She's in good health. Initially immigration asked my brother why he lodged it late and he didn't tell them about divorce case going on at the time. So Immigration has given my mother a 21 day visa is she wants to appeal. I checked with a local migration agent and he said we can appeal to tribunal but high chance it will be rejected.
It will buy her time to pursue other options, I suppose. I can't really comment further without seeing the cancellation letter and being across all the facts relating to this case.

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
Ultimately your brother's divorce is irrelevant since it's your mother's visa, not his. So it's her responsibility to keep track of when the new application is due to be submitted. She really needs to speak with a migration agent to see if there are any options to lodge another application that will let her remain in Australia, otherwise she may need to leave and start over again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.