Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Last year my parents applied for the contributory parent visa (subclass 143) whilst outside of Australia. After a couple of issues (their migration agent didn't send it!) it was finally confirmed as submitted in August last year. They have been in Australia on a visitors visa (subclass 600) since early last year which means they can stay for up to three years but must leave the country for 6 months out of every 18. I don't understand the logic behind this - surely they are better off spending the money they have to pay for flights, accommodation etc overseas in the country they have chosen to live? Does anyone know if there is another visa option they can consider or anything else they can do until their subclass 143 is confirmed? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
DoHA wants to avoid people using repeated visitors visas to essentially live in Australia. So they can be used for their intended purpose, which is a visit. There's been talk of a 5-year visitor visa but I don't think it's moved past the proposal stage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.