Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Last year my parents applied for the contributory parent visa (subclass 143) whilst outside of Australia. After a couple of issues (their migration agent didn't send it!) it was finally confirmed as submitted in August last year. They have been in Australia on a visitors visa (subclass 600) since early last year which means they can stay for up to three years but must leave the country for 6 months out of every 18. I don't understand the logic behind this - surely they are better off spending the money they have to pay for flights, accommodation etc overseas in the country they have chosen to live? Does anyone know if there is another visa option they can consider or anything else they can do until their subclass 143 is confirmed? Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hello. Last year my parents applied for the contributory parent visa (subclass 143) whilst outside of Australia. After a couple of issues (their migration agent didn't send it!) it was finally confirmed as submitted in August last year. They have been in Australia on a visitors visa (subclass 600) since early last year which means they can stay for up to three years but must leave the country for 6 months out of every 18. I don't understand the logic behind this - surely they are better off spending the money they have to pay for flights, accommodation etc overseas in the country they have chosen to live? Does anyone know if there is another visa option they can consider or anything else they can do until their subclass 143 is confirmed? Thanks
There are no other visa options I can think of, unless they qualify for an aged (contributory) parent visa, which is an onshore visa.

The "logic" of not allowing people to stay for extended periods on tourist visas, is that they don't want people to take up quasi-residence in Australia and become settled here, while their (offshore) visa application is still being processed and ultimately could be refused.

That may seem inconsistent with the arrangements that are in place for those who lodge onshore applications, but that is the official reason given for the 12 in 18 month limitation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I believe they do qualify for the other visa option you mentioned. Is this something they can apply for whilst they still have the tourist visa?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Thank you. I believe they do qualify for the other visa option you mentioned. Is this something they can apply for whilst they still have the tourist visa?
As long as the tourist visa does not have a "no further stay" condition on it , yes. You'd have to withdraw the other application though and pay a new application fee for the onshore application.You won't receive any refund.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.