Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just wondering what the cost of living is like in Perth for a family of 4?
Food, Gas, Electricity ect?

Also Tax deductions what sort of percentage is this? If anyone could help that would be great...thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Expensive. But depends on your life style.

I can only give you my experiences.

Living :-
Rent $600 a week
Food $150 a week
Eletric $150 a month
Internet, phone, TV $200 a month
Gas and Water - Unknown (I recon about $100 a month combined)

Going out :-
$10 a beer in a Bar
$60 for a slab of Jim & Coke (24 cans) in a bottle shop
$100 for a nice meal per person,
$50 for an average meal per person
$10 for a cheap takeaway

Petrol is about $1.35 (but add 5c on a weekend, and take 8c off if you use supermarket vouchers)

Cars are expensive. They don't depreciate quick.

Public transport is very cheap, under $10 a day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Expensive. But depends on your life style.

I can only give you my experiences.

Living :-
Rent $600 a week
Food $150 a week
Eletric $150 a month
Internet, phone, TV $200 a month
Gas and Water - Unknown (I recon about $100 a month combined)

Going out :-
$10 a beer in a Bar
$60 for a slab of Jim & Coke (24 cans) in a bottle shop
$100 for a nice meal per person,
$50 for an average meal per person
$10 for a cheap takeaway

Petrol is about $1.35 (but add 5c on a weekend, and take 8c off if you use supermarket vouchers)

Cars are expensive. They don't depreciate quick.

Public transport is very cheap, under $10 a day.
It must be usefull for Dawes,, and It's really cheaper than living in Sydeny

·
Registered
685 Posts
$600 for rent per week? That is horrendous price!!! Average 2 bedroom apartment in Sydney suburbs can be rented for less than $400 per week. A house between $450 and $600 per week. If you live within red zone, you will spend $40 per week and have trains, buses and ferries covered with it. I cannot believe that Perth is so much more expensive?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I don't think that is correct information. $600 per week is crazy. You get cheaper rents in Sydney. Mind Sydney is the most expensive city.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose it depends on your life style. I currently have the Realestate app on my phone witch allows me to look at property rentals and it all depend on what and where!

You will always find a bargain!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Haha. Well you can get a rent in Sydney of $5700 per week in Double bay but you can't say it is an average rent. One of my friends is in Perth and he rents a one bedroom unit 10 minutes from the city for $310. So I would say a 2 bedroom would be $360 ish

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rent in Perth like any other city varies greatly, 1 or 2 bedroom apartments in the CBD range from $350 -$700 pw, 3+ bedrooms $800 - ? whatever...skys the limit! Depends on your tatse.

Suburbs are different, currently we rent about 25 mins (train ride) out from CBD, in a 3 brm, 1 bathroom house in an average suburb, nice gardens and in ground pool at $320 pw (includes internet/foxtel) so there are options for cheaper living.

·
Registered
61 Posts
$600 p/week to me seems mad? Plain mad! I paid $570 every TWO weeks in Perth (weird the way rent was paid every two weeks but anywhos) and I lived only 15 mins from the city in Claremont, a lovely suburb right beside the beach. Strange... But I suppose there are bargains to be found and maybe I was just the lucky one!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am from Perth, I would think $600 per week is probably quite expensive for the average person (1 bedroom). Obviously it will depend on which suburb you want to live, how close to the city and/or the beach, how many bed rooms etc. I would think $350ish would be more the price for a 1 bedroom apartment in the city or in its very close surrounding suburbs (West Perth, Northbridge, East Perth) etc.

Depending on if you have a car (you will probably need one!), houses outside of the city and inner city will be cheaper and perhaps more viable.

To the OP, for a 3 bedroom inner city rental (ie basically a townhouse) you may be looking at somewhere around $700-$750 per week. If you go outside of inner city (definitely need a car if thats the case), you can probably get something larger and cheaper (as long as your within relatively good distance of the city, say 15-20 min drive non peak hour and not too close to the beach), you will find something probably a bit bigger for cheaper.

I think your food bill would probably be definitely on the upper end of $150 (maybe even closer to $200) and that is without eating out for dinner!

Perth is an expensive city, definitely on par with Sydney. PM me for more specific details, happy to help!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Human live in perth earn more money than in Sydney
These are rare cases IMHO. As far as I know ordinary Sydney citizen earns more than ordinary Perth citizen. Not to mention that head offices of many large companies are usually in Sydney or Melbourne and CEO-s, managers and executives in these places earn a lot more than miners in WA.

·
Registered
43 Posts
True, but you have to remember that there is a smaller population in Perth and it is also home to a number of executives of small miners and engineers which earn considerable amounts of money. I would highly doubt the average wage in Sydney is much (if any) higher than in Perth. Having said that I dont have figures to back it up.

The cost of living in Perth & wages in Perth are extremely high and only increasing, it is right up there with Sydney.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.