Australia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies as this question has most likely been asked and answered before, hoping for a reply or to be pointed in the right direction :)
---
We want to move to Aus (from Canada), I'm Aus citizen (and therefore my 2 kids) and wife is Canadian, we were thinking easiest way to make it work is for her to arrive on a standard visitor visa and then apply for subclass 820 while there (then bridging, etc).

Has anyone been denied entry by customs as a visitor when their intentions are to apply for the 820 visa and therefore end up living in Aus? We're bringing over 8 suitcases full of our livelihoods, so our intentions are obvious. We obviously don't want my wife to be turned around and denied entry when we get there, as our intention is to live in Aus permanently.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Applying onshore for a partner visa, whilst holding a visitor visa, is a perfectly valid partner pathway. As you say, this has been discussed a number of times here. You will need a travel exemption for your wife as well as the visitor visa.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul.

I did search but struggled to find what I was looking for.

So should receive no issues from customs, even if we fly over on a one-way ticket?

Thanks also for the info on the travel exemption, wasn't aware of that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks Paul.

I did search but struggled to find what I was looking for.

So should receive no issues from customs, even if we fly over on a one-way ticket?

Thanks also for the info on the travel exemption, wasn't aware of that.
I wouldn't risk having a one-way ticket for your wife, although it would look a bit strange if you have a return and she has a one way.

On a tourist visa she would find it difficult to enter the country with a one-way ticket. She possibly won't be able to leave Canada without a return ticket. You'd need to make further enquiries on that.

A tricky situation!

My partner got in easily on a tourist visa but she had a return ticket. We applied for 820 before her tourist visa expired.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Depending on your circumstances, I would also consider applying for the offshore partner visa 309/100. Then you can move when you have the visa and have no doubt that you will be let in. It also removes the situation of being on a bridging visa, which can be annoying I've heard (for job opportunities).

Incidentally, processing times for offshore can be a lot shorter than for onshore (no guarantees obviously)

Reactions: FreddoBee

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're hoping to travel before July so I doubt the 309 visa would be processed by then... Wish we'd applied for it 6 months ago.

Good call on the return flights, we'll just do that for all of us. Based on searches it's only $1k more for return for all for of us. Hoping that we can change dates on the return to use in the future when we want to go back to Canada for a visit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts