Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many others, my partner and I are under the pressure of the new changes that will soon be impacting the current Partner Visa framework. I am becoming crazy paranoid about the strength of our application, so I'm getting advice from a variety of sources.

I wanted to see what the general perception is of a case like mine. I feel like we are not alone in our situation, but perhaps this might guide others on what to expect, alongside getting some feedback on our situation.

Brief overview of relationship: Met USA partner in Greece, Aug 2016. I'm the Aussie. We hit it off. I was travelling Europe, and he was wrapping up his holiday. I went to visit him for six weeks in Boston in Oct 2016; he came to visit me in London where I was living in Jan / Feb 2017. We decided to become "exclusive" and to figure out a way to live together in June 2017. Between June 2017 and July 2018, we visited each other another five times. From July 2018, we have been together - I met up with him in the USA where we spent 5 weeks with his family before moving to Australia. He is currently on the WHV and we are getting our evidence, with the hopes of submitting very soon.

Evidence we have:
- All certified identity documents +Form 80
- Joint bank details (7 months), bank statements, receipts of significant purchases (like furniture and rent).
- Joint home insurance policy
- Joint utility bills
- Beneficiary documents for both of us
- Lease agreement (7 months)
- Registration of Relationship certificate
- Some evidence of financial interdependence during the long-distance component of our relationship (e.g. a few bank transfers, shared ubers, split accommodation charges).
- Joint travel documents + travel documents to see each other
- All stat decs (including certified copies of ours, x3 Form 888 and a notarised statement from his mother)
- Photos (incl. plenty with others), conversation histories, event tickets, social media evidence, letters and cards to one another, letters and cards from other people addressed to both of us, mail received at our shared address.

We are also planning on lodging a joint tax return, and will be looking to finance a car jointly by the end of the year - documents we will add to our application, of course.

We have spent several hours today combing through all our evidence, with a particular focus on cross-referencing dates. We are saying we have been in a "defacto" relationship since September 2017, as this is when we took out our joint lease, but we have been in a committed relationship for a lot longer than that - we just don't feel we have the documents to prove that without fail (mostly financial, because living in separate countries, you can open joint bank accounts). I am hoping the C.O. will acknowledge our conservative approach and judge our application holistically.

We are also planning on getting our documents professionally reviewed this week before we submit, but like I said, I'm keen to get a variety of opinions on how strong people believe our application will be. My biggest concern is, of course, the fact we have not lived together the full 12 months, but we have done everything in our power for now to get all the essentials right.

Any suggestions to strengthen our case are, of course, very welcome! Thank you for reading my essay.
Sarah

· Registered
131 Posts
Dear Sarah

You need to make sure that you have completed your statements for the following:

Relationship statement
Financial aspects
Nature of commitment
Social aspects
Nature of your household
Periods of separation (if applicable)

My wife (the Applicant) and I (the Sponsor) did separate signed statements for each, then converted to PDF and uploaded together with supporting evidence.

I recommend that you have a look at this web site:

Moving to Australia Archives ⋆ brooke around town

This is the most up to date and comprehensive blog I have read and greatly assisted my wife and I in our preparation and subsequent submission.

Best of luck!

· Premium Member
6,622 Posts
I recommend that you have a look at this web site:

Moving to Australia Archives ⋆ brooke around town

This is the most up to date and comprehensive blog I have read !
Despite the disclaimer, it could be argued that the author is in fact providing migration advice in Australia, without being licensed to do so.

And, as always, please remember that I am not a migration agent or affiliated with Home Affairs in any way, so all the information provided in these posts and in the comments below is based entirely on my own experience and my own understanding of the application process.

Furthermore, since the information provided is based on her one-off, personal experience, it may not be all that relevant to others and will become rapidly outdated.

As a professional who spends a great deal of money every year on professional development courses, subscription to LegendCom, registration, insurance etc. I am not entirely comfortable with these type of blogs ( there are many others). Many of them contain outdated or incorrect information and some of them either use those blogs to drive traffic to their other enterprises or openly offer to " share" information for a fee. As pointed out before, it is illegal to provide migration advice in Australia, if you are not a Registered Migration Agent.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi, we were told from a few different people that it’s a good idea to have at least 6-10 statements from people about your relationship - combination of form 888 or statements depending on where the people writing them are from.
Good luck with your application!

· Registered
6,928 Posts
There is no living together for 12 months requirement.

There is a 12 month de facto requirement, but you have registered your relationship - so not applicable to you.

The date you pick as the start of your de facto relationship can be a date you both agree on. This could be evidenced by digital communication or at/after an event you both attended as examples, it does not need to be the day you started a lease.

· Registered
179 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Seriously???

I used to be a fan @ CCMS but your denunciation of Brooke's Blog is very petty. No, she is not a Migration Agent and never claimed to be - yes she is a blogger with an interest in writing and travelling and she provided the advice FREE and that is all it was - ADVICE / GUIDANCE on the incredibly complex online application. As many on this forum have said - nothing on the Home Affairs web site prepares you for the application whether it is 820/801 or 309/100.

Of course the advice / guidance / comments are going to become outdated with time but considering she submitted her application in Dec 2018 I think it is fairly relevant. She also advised of her blog on this forum some months ago. I notice that you didn't can her then? Many people have used the information and found it to be an excellent reference.

My wife and I spent 7 months preparing her application. We were well read and I am fully aware of what is out there. There are some free blogs and there are some resources that you have to pay for. The choice is up to the individual.

"...since the information provided is based on her one-off, personal experience, it may not be all that relevant to others and will become rapidly outdated." Isn't that what this Forum is all about - sharing personal experiences?

"Despite the disclaimer, it could be argued that the author is in fact providing migration advice in Australia, without being licensed to do so". lol - every person that contributes to this forum that is not a Migration Agent beware...we may be providing unlicensed advice"......really Nick - all you do is devalue the great advice that you and others provide by posting a reply like this.

I don't know Brooke personally but I am able to state that the information she provided greatly assisted my knowledge of what was required for the submission of the visa.

· Premium Member
6,622 Posts
I am not denouncing Brooke or her blog in particular and I am not saying that she did not do a great job describing her particular journey. The amount of detail she provides is quite exceptional.

However, there are many similar blogs and websites around, some of them blatantly offering to "share" information for a fee. I don't think I am being petty about this and to avoid being accused of being petty is also the reason I did not comment previously when Brooke advised about her blog on this forum . I did contact her privately at the time though, expressing my concerns, but she chose not to respond.

Several of my colleagues have mentioned this particular blog since and the general concensus is that Brooke is clearly providing migration advice, wether she is paid for it or not. In addition to the general information she provides, she is also answering people's specific questions about their applications, which clearly is the provision of migration advice.

As far as this forum is concerned, while there can indeed be a fine line between sharing personal experience and providing migration advice, commenting here is not quite the same as setting up a dedicated website or blog with detailed migration advice.

People in Australia who are not Registered Migration Agents should not provide Migration Advice, unless they are an exempt person. It's as simple as that and I'm sorry if you think that I'm being petty about it.

Reactions: LadyRogueRayne

· Registered
131 Posts
Nick

Please be factual in your post. Brooke Around Town is NOT A DEDICATED WEBSITE for visa information. She posted 4 blogs on the process for her 820/801 visa application. The remainder of her blogs are travel related.

I for one am very thankful for the detail she provided which was extremely helpful to prepare for the online application. As for her answering questions relating to applications - I have read these posts and as far as I can read her responses are only procedural and not actual migration issues.

I commend Brooke's posts to anyone that is contemplating submitting a Partner Visa application. It certainly assisted my wife and I, as did @ Fiona Chan's "The Australian Partner Visa Guide" (2017 edition). I happily paid the prescribed fee, even though the guide was dated and was pre online submission only.

The more resources people have access to the better in my opinion. They can then make an informed decision as to whether they wish to use a Migration Agent or submit themselves. Brooke states that her situation, like my wife and I, was not complex and therefore she chose to submit herself.

Thank you @ Westly (wrussell) for your balanced response.

· Premium Member
6,622 Posts
If the party mentioned is not offering migration advice she will do until we find someone who is.
BTW: - Some of the information posted, should not be relied upon.
Many RMAs I know seem to agree that migration advice is provided by both parties mentioned.

People are free to seek whatever information they can find on the net, just as I am free to object to people who are not RMAs providing migration advice.

Still, I don't want to be "petty" about. I suppose they are doing a better job than the many unregistered operators who are allowed to operate with impunity and are ripping people off left, right and centre.

I was contacted by a lady the other day, who overstayed her visa and then paid $ 15,000.00 to ' a friend" for a protection visa application, despite not having any protection claims.The lodgement fee for an onshore protection visa is $ 35.00. Nice world we live in !

Reactions: LadyRogueRayne

· Premium Member
6,622 Posts

· Premium Member
6,622 Posts
Reactions: Aussie in Thailand
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.