Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I arrived in Melbourne two weeks ago, breezed through immigration with my Partner visa. I kind of expected some more fanfare! ;) There were some unfortunate paperwork delays in getting our household goods onto a ship and on their way from California, so they are expected to arrive at port in Melbourne on January 20. I was told that they will then go through the customs and quarantine process, "Which can be lengthy." Ugh, I wasn't quite expecting that. Does anyone have recent experience with how long this process takes? We have a 20' container packed pretty much full. Our moving company packed and certified everything on our behalf.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Delays are like a week tops unless it needs to go through fumigation. Worst case its delayed by 2 weeks.

Do you have an agent here to do the paperwork for you once it lands in the port here? Have you got the original bill of landing from your agent in the USA?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the original bill of lading. But yes, our contract with the moving company is for door to door service. An agent here should be dealing with the paperwork, and then a local company will deliver and unpack everything.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The bill of landing will have the ship number on it, where you can use a free service to track it.

Usually the agent will have all the paperwork prepped and lodged with customs a day or two before the scheduled arrival date.

If there will be custom delays they would know a few hours before the ship docks as they send them a warning so they can rearrange the logistics.

From the time the ship is docked, it will take about 2-3 days for it to get onto a truck to the agent's holding warehouse.

We've had delays before from random customs xrays, it could be a 1-3 business day delay.

We did have to do a fumigation before, that can take up to two weeks depending on the queue.

Once it hits the agent's warehouse i have no idea how long they take to get it to your door. Our containers come straight to our warehouse lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Yeah I'm familiar with marinetraffic.com and the like, I will see what I can find out about the ship name. If the processing time is as brief as you say, that will be a relief.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.