Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Customs Question!

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Verystormy 
#1 ·
Hello, I am currently waiting for my spouse visa to be granted.
As a hobby/side job, I make handmade wooden jewellery - I just read here (agriculture.gov.au) that all WOODEN items should be declared on entry.
Can anyone tell me if I should even TRY to take all my stock into Australia with me? If I declare it, what might happen? What do I need to prove that it is what I say it is? Would it be a better option to send the pieces in the mail? Thank you! Daisy

#2 ·
Hello, I am currently waiting for my spouse visa to be granted.
As a hobby/side job, I make handmade wooden jewellery - I just read here (agriculture.gov.au) that all WOODEN items should be declared on entry.
Can anyone tell me if I should even TRY to take all my stock into Australia with me? If I declare it, what might happen? What do I need to prove that it is what I say it is? Would it be a better option to send the pieces in the mail? Thank you! Daisy
You have no choice, either way you are required to declare them.
If you do bring them with you and there is no problem they will be returned to you, if they need treatment you have the option of paying for the treatment and having them returned or electing to have them destroyed.
If you dont declare them they can be confiscated and destroyed and you can be fined.
Parcels are also inspected so the same procedure applies.

#3 ·
Hello, I am currently waiting for my spouse visa to be granted. As a hobby/side job, I make handmade wooden jewellery - I just read here (agriculture.gov.au) that all WOODEN items should be declared on entry. Can anyone tell me if I should even TRY to take all my stock into Australia with me? If I declare it, what might happen? What do I need to prove that it is what I say it is? Would it be a better option to send the pieces in the mail? Thank you! Daisy
You can get them fumigated and certified in your home country. Bring the certification with you.

You must declare and it's a 5 minute procedure (max) at inspection.

#5 ·
Declare them and pay the taxes and duties, and you should be OK there.

I would make sure I had a full detailed list of every item though, with values, and probably contact customs before you go, just to try to keep things easy.

People do have things confiscated if customs are not satisfied, and people try to avoid duties etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.