Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions for the de facto and partner visa as the title says :) (sorry if any of these have been asked before, I did read a couple of threads here but might've not gone back far enough).

Here is some background information before I bombard with questions. I'm an Australian citizen and I met my friend online more than 10 years ago. I've visited her in Korea twice, where we went around together to different cities as well.
She plans to apply for a working holiday visa in Australia and eventually (hopefully) apply for a partner visa. Our relationship would be defined as platonic love. We aren't romantically involved with each other, however we plan to live together like a romantic/married couple with shared finances, joint bank accounts etc.Neither of us are interested in a traditional marriage with a male spouse. When she comes to Australia, we'll be living together with my parents first until we are both financially stable enough to move out and rent a place together. She has definitely decided to spend the rest of her life with me, thus the big move from overseas.

It's important to emphasise that we are a platonic couple, not just two 'good friends'. We are basically like a traditional couple in all senses except sexual. A few of my close friends can see that, but others might not understand what platonic really is :s

I think that's enough background information - now for the questions.

1. De facto relationship
We're wondering if we would be eligible to register for a de facto relationship in NSW? I've triple checked the requirements and we both pass, but is it required for us to have lived together for a certain amount of time? I'm just worried because it feels like there's a catch to it (minus the registration fee and 28 day(?) waiting time).

2. Partner Visa
Since the working holiday visa is for 12 months, we would have to lodge the partner visa before that ends, but the required period for living together is 12 months full. Will that time period requirement be waived if we have our relationship registered (as de facto)?

3. Living together
As I said earlier, my partner and I would be living together under my parent's roof until we're financially stable enough to move out together. Would I just have to get either of my parents to write a statutory declaration letter signed by a JP for proof of living together?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
To successfully apply for a de facto partner visa you do not have to be in a sexual relationship, or to have lived together.

In the circumstances you described, I strongly advise you to consult a registered migration agent for advice about visa strategy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My partner and I just had our 801 permanent visa approved and while your case is different to ours there are a couple of points I can help with.

1. They don't care about sex. But they want you to be mutually exclusive, meaning that you aren't seeing other people on the side for sex or any other reason.
2. My partner and I were living in my parents house when we applied and it was fine. As long as that is the official address of both of you then it counts as living together.
3. We had our 12 month requirement waived by using the registered relationship, so that works fine.

Basically with the evidence you are trying to prove that you have a long term outlook together. Basically what you are trying to say with all the evidence is that this girl/man is the person of your dreams and you want to spend your life with them. Its not designed for short term boyfriend/girlfriend relationships. So really it all comes back to whether or not you can prove this. Every relationship is different but they want to see that you are integrated more than a normal boyfriend/girlfriend type situation. So you really need to have shared finances, acknowledgment from friends/family that they know you are a couple and consider yourselves "off the market" and evidence that you do stuff together.

We never really mentioned anything about sex in our application, nor did they ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply :) I got a free assessment from a migration agent and they said that calling ourselves de facto would be a lot stronger than using the term platonic, so I guess we'll have to get that relationship registered asap.

edit: oops all the questions have been answered now, thank you so much!! This helps a lot, I can't thank you guys enough!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.