Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Just found out this forum and oh my! So much info. Thanks so much everyone.

Anyway, my partner and I are planning on applying for the 820 visa.
We are gathering all the info and want to lodge in the application before 1st of July (in case the fee increases with the new financial calendar!?).
We moved in together at the end of August 2017 so by the time we lodge our application we won't have been living together for the 12 months yet (as he was working up the coast and we couldn't move in till he gathered the money to move to Sydney).
I know that they take months in even start going through your application so I'm assuming that by the time they look at our application we will have lived together for over a year...
Should we nevertheless explain why we couldn't move in together previously?? Anyone had a similar situation?

Also, we initially moved in together into a sublet so we don't have a joint lease until further on... Will some screenshots with our housemates back then be enough to proof that we moved in together?

Thanks for any help about this issue !

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
1. It is a 12 month de facto requirement. There is no requirement to have lived together for 12 months. Read info here.

2. The requirements to qualify must be met at the time of application. Do not think that you can use time after applying to add up missing relationship evidence. Not to mention an app can be looked at at any time.

3. What state do you live in? Registering the relationship may be a beneficial option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your answer Skybluebrewer!

We live in NSW - we had already thought about registering the relation... Would you recommend? We're scraping the money to put all this together and it is an extra couple hundred dollars so we weren't unsure about how much it would or wouldn't help.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
It's not just about considering yourself de facto for 12 months, you need to prove it with evidence. So if you feel your evidence isn't very strong for the full 12 months, registering can help you as it waives the 12 month requirement.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
You must meet the requirement of a de facto relationship as of the day you submit the application, even a day short can result in your application being refused. The 12 months is waived if you register your relationship, but you should still make sure you have at least several months worth of solid evidence of your relationship.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You might find this a bit bigger task than you expected.

Putting forward a good application takes time 2-3 months is realistic.

You need to gather all the evidence you can find in the 4 relationship categories then sort it out and work out what to use. You often find you are short in areas and need to actively gather evidence in those areas while working on your application.

Getting form 888's will also take longer than you expect, some times these also have errors and then need redoing.

What visa do you currently have?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm currently on a work and holiday visa which expires in August.

I know it's a very long process and it takes a lot of gathering evidence!
We've been already months gathering everything and trying to tick all the boxes. We have been together for more than a year, but unfortunately haven't lived together for that long as he was working up in Central Coast at the beginning of our relationship (while I was in Sydney). It took us a bit of time to get us a place, and then it took us even more time to get the real estate to change the lease to our names... so probably registering our relationship will be a good idea as proof of cohabitation for 12 months is one of our weakest points.

Thanks for all the responses everyone !

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You might have some evidence in the "to get us a place" stage.

Did you supply info to an agent to advise of type of place you were after with both your names - like a register of interest form or better still by email?

I advised my landlord via email that I was getting married and my fiancé ( then her name) and her two children (by names) will be moving in with us, I then asked if they needed to be added to the lease.

It did not matter how the landlord replied - it was evidence of our relationship.

This is a method of actively seeking evidence - I used the actual names to add more weight instead of wife and 2 children.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You might have some evidence in the "to get us a place" stage.

Did you supply info to an agent to advise of type of place you were after with both your names - like a register of interest form or better still by email?

I advised my landlord via email that I was getting married and my fiancé ( then her name) and her two children (by names) will be moving in with us, I then asked if they needed to be added to the lease.

It did not matter how the landlord replied - it was evidence of our relationship.

This is a method of actively seeking evidence - I used the actual names to add more weight instead of wife and 2 children.
Do you have some ideas or suggestions if the 2nd criteria, i.e., 'documents to show you and your partner share financial responsibilities'? if the applicant does not have any source of income? no work due to visa limitation? Opening a joint bank account is pointless as there is no source of funds to deposit on the applicants behalf. Sponsor has been fully responsible for all expenses and gives applicant his credit/charge card for purchasing groceries and other household expenses.

Applicant, however has nominated sponsor as her (retirement fund) beneficiary and this has been documented.

How much evidence and support do you think its needed and can this lack of evidence be a deal breaker for the 820 visa application ?

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
[QUOTE=Truthfully

Do you have some ideas or suggestions if the 2nd criteria, i.e., 'documents to show you and your partner share financial responsibilities'?

*** Not sure of this 2nd criteria thing you ask.

if the applicant does not have any source of income?

*** not common but a very low income is common.

no work due to visa limitation?

*** Only on some visas - general Visitor Visas

Opening a joint bank account is pointless as there is no source of funds to deposit on the applicants behalf. Sponsor has been fully responsible for all expenses and gives applicant his credit/charge card for purchasing groceries and other household expenses.

*** So that seems a very restrictive use of funds - only one person controls it and can be cut if in a fight! That leaves the other with nothing. But that's pointless!!!!???

Applicant, however has nominated sponsor as her (retirement fund) beneficiary and this has been documented.

*** This is a commitment to a relationship. Has the Sponsor done the same?

How much evidence and support do you think its needed and can this lack of evidence be a deal breaker for the 820 visa application ?

*** One can never tell how much or how little is required - but yes can very much be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Truthfully Do you have some ideas or suggestions if the 2nd criteria said:
-- yes, i think you are right, each case is different and depends on the CO's evaluation and judgement. From what I've read , there are cases that satisfies all the requirements, but yet were unsuccessful, whereas some applications may not but still granted.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.