Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this forum & have read through & found some fantastic advice already, so feeling a lot more comfortable!
I have a few questions....
My partner is Irish and I am Australian, and we are gathering our evidence for the 309 visa. We decided to frontload with medicals & police certs, and he has had the medicals done already. They will be sent directly the embassy in Auckland, however we are not intending to apply until July....does anyone think this gap of approx 2 months between medicals arriving & application being submitted will be a problem? I will email the embassy tomorrow to let them know what to expect.
Also, he has previously applied for and been granted a 457 visa, then his employment was terminated (he called in sick and was terminated the next day with only one verbal warning for tardiness prior - devastating!). We moved to NZ to continue our relationship until we could apply for the 309. I hope this will be ok...
Re certified documents - does every piece of evidence need to be certified? Or just ID stuff like passport & birth certificates. Does anyone know who in New Zealand can certify?
Finally - has anyone had experience with an offshore application for the 309 via the Auckland office? Any information would be much appreciated!
Thanks very much!!!
Hannah

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all, I am new to this forum & have read through & found some fantastic advice already, so feeling a lot more comfortable!
I have a few questions....
My partner is Irish and I am Australian, and we are gathering our evidence for the 309 visa. We decided to frontload with medicals & police certs, and he has had the medicals done already. They will be sent directly the embassy in Auckland, however we are not intending to apply until July....does anyone think this gap of approx 2 months between medicals arriving & application being submitted will be a problem? I will email the embassy tomorrow to let them know what to expect.
Also, he has previously applied for and been granted a 457 visa, then his employment was terminated (he called in sick and was terminated the next day with only one verbal warning for tardiness prior - devastating!). We moved to NZ to continue our relationship until we could apply for the 309. I hope this will be ok...
Re certified documents - does every piece of evidence need to be certified? Or just ID stuff like passport & birth certificates. Does anyone know who in New Zealand can certify?
Finally - has anyone had experience with an offshore application for the 309 via the Auckland office? Any information would be much appreciated!
Thanks very much!!!
Hannah
Hi and welcome!

Is there a reason why you're not intending to apply until July? It might not be granted right away (we're at 9 weeks waiting right now) and I'm pretty sure you get a decent amount of time to get over there (dependant on your medicals and criminal records check date I think).
The only problem that you may run into with having the medical and criminal records check done already is that it might not be recent enough when you apply and you'd have to get it re-done or like I mentioned earlier, it may shorten the time-frame that you have to initially get to Australia.

I don't think the fact that your spouse was terminated will be a hindrance. You may just need to explain the situation (and I'm pretty sure that on the forms you'll have to list all his previous visas).

From what I understand, the only things that need to be certified are copies of official government documents - passports, birth certificates, ID cards etc. I was also advised to copy (and certify) all the non-blank pages of my passport. Because they asked for details of my previous passport, I had copies of that done as well.
We also copied and certified all my spouse's documents.
As for who can certify, NZ should be like most places - judges, lawyers, doctors, chemists etc. Basically whoever is able to sign your passport should be able to do it.

We're doing an offshore application but from Canada. Hope things go smoothly in NZ!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Megera
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! We are not applying til July because our good evidence of living together starts then. We've been together since Jan 08, started living together in March but in July we moved into our own flat, so we have clear evidence from then. Although we didn't get a joint bank account til March this year....there is so much to consider isn't there!
Anyway, we just thought it would be a good idea to wait until July when our really good evidence started. Before July, we only have stat decs, photos, one flight booked together and one utility bill to say that we were living together/in a relationship.
I hope your application is going smoothly!
Hannah

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Megera
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! We are not applying til July because our good evidence of living together starts then. We've been together since Jan 08, started living together in March but in July we moved into our own flat, so we have clear evidence from then. Although we didn't get a joint bank account til March this year....there is so much to consider isn't there!
Anyway, we just thought it would be a good idea to wait until July when our really good evidence started. Before July, we only have stat decs, photos, one flight booked together and one utility bill to say that we were living together/in a relationship.
I hope your application is going smoothly!
Hannah
Ah yeah, that makes sense. What a pain :( We were recently looking at NZ de facto requirements (just for fun) and I think they have a 3 year requirement! That would be practically impossible for most people!

If you haven't already, I'd start getting everything together now and then the second your 1 year is up, pop that application in the mail. We planned on applying in January but we underestimated how long it was going to take to write this letter/that letter/get a letter from this person/fill out X form again etc and we didn't end up applying until mid-March.

If I can only give one good piece of advice it would be to start getting your documents together WAY before you plan on applying so things aren't held up trying to get birth certificates etc (oh and to live close to a panel doctor so you don't have to fly 4000km to the nearest one!).

From all I know, I think our application is going smoothly! lol My nerves are a little worse for wear though!

Best of luck to you guys! I hope the wait is short in Auckland!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THanks!
We have basically got everything...just waiting on Police certificates, a few 888's and I need to get everything certified.
I know what you mean though - it is so stressful! I feel like my life has been about visa's since about October last year! I can't wait til it is all sorted.
You guys must be really remote? That must make it so difficult for you....well done for getting it all together though!
Thanks for your advice, I'm sure I'll run into you again on here! Hope you get some good news soon.
Hannah

·
Registered
692 Posts
started living together in March but in July we moved into our own flat, so we have clear evidence from then.
Is the lease in both of your names? Do you both have any mail going to the first address you were living at?

and one utility bill
Why only one? I would suggest putting the gas, telephone, electricity in both of your names. In Australia I got this done pretty easy with just one phone call. I doubt even married couples bother with this, but it is an easy way to get evidence.

With my bank account in Australia, I just added my partner to my existing account, rather than opening a new joint account. I wonder then if you did this, you could get statements going back 12 months and it would have both of your names attached to the account?

I think you might need to resubmit your medicals and immigration seem to advise people now to wait until their medicals are requested to get them done.

Don't also forget some email/chat records if you spent any significant time apart.

·
Registered
51 Posts
THanks!
We have basically got everything...just waiting on Police certificates, a few 888's and I need to get everything certified.
I know what you mean though - it is so stressful! I feel like my life has been about visa's since about October last year! I can't wait til it is all sorted.
You guys must be really remote? That must make it so difficult for you....well done for getting it all together though!
Thanks for your advice, I'm sure I'll run into you again on here! Hope you get some good news soon.
Hannah
I couldn't agree more!! lol It seems that's our main topic of conversation now. I think all our friends and family are sick to death of it. We went from 2 years of my spouse's family asking about his visa to them asking about mine whenever we talk to them!
And then explaining things to co-workers (who have NO idea how complicated the whole process is!).
I'm going to be so happy when we have the visa and can just move on with our lives :p

We're ridiculously remote. I didn't mind it so much until I had to spend a crazy amount of money to fly myself out of here for my medical with 5 weeks notice. There actually aren't any panel doctors in any of Canada's northern territories so it's not like I even had a choice between the two major cities closest to me (1000-1300km away).

Oh btw, where in Australia are you planning on moving back to? Or will you be staying in NZ for a while?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!
Mike, we only had one bill in our name from March - July 08. From July 08 onwards, we have got bills in our name along with a joint lease on a one bedroom flat, and quite a bit of other documentation. We just have to wait until July to apply, cause that's when our good evidence starts!
So you think we might have to do the medicals again - oh no!
Megera, we'll hopefully go back to Melbourne. What about you guys?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Just a late point HannahLiam,
With that joint utility bill before July that you had, you must have had an address I'd expect to have it and then given that you have moved to NZ to continue the relationship, I'd say there'd be no doubt on commitment.

Drop into the Oz Embassy /High Commission or whatever they have over there and witha good clear timeline of events starting with the earlier evidence, there'll be no harm done in seeking an opinion and you may find you have th 12 months up already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! That is fantastic news! We have actuallly been living together since March 2008, and have his name on the utility bill since then. We moved into our own place in July 08, so that's why I was waiting until July. But I might give the embassy a call to get some advice - it would be brilliant to apply earlier and to get back to Australia sooner...you have made my day!
Thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think you have to wait till July.
My partner and I began dating in december 2007, lived at his families place in march 2008 and then moved into our own flat in july 2008.
We lodged our application at the end of March 2009 and we were approved in under 2 months! (I am Australian and my partner is French.)
Send it all now I say! Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Hannah can I ask you how your partner obtained the An Garda/Irish police certificate? I got mine fine as I live in Ireland but a friend of mine is having problems receiving it from overseas.

My partner and I did the exact same thing as you guys, we moved from Australia to Auckland, New Zealand in order to continue being together - then on to Ireland :eek:)

Best of luck with your application!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.