Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My partner had to leave to come see me in a rush and had to enter on an ETA, she's now on a 600 visa which will give us enough time to be together for 12 months to fulfill the requirement for a de facto relationship.

Of course since she hasn't left the country since she first arrived she isn't legally allowed to work and therefore cannot contribute much financially, we both live with my parents and I'm not entirely sure how to prove that we're in a de facto relationship once the 12 months elapses.

Is the requirement that both people are paying for things? I can get notorized statements from friends, family. I can get receipts for things we've done together but I can't show that she's contributed financially.

Is this required? What do I do?

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
It is not unusual for one partner to support the other. There are many different ways in which you can have combined your financial affairs.It's not just about household spending.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
You need to explain how your relationship deals with the money aspects of things.

Explain exactly how you have done that - think outside of that small box. Life is never as we expect it should be, but we are all still alive to tell that story.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Sharing finances can actually be simple, even when only one is earning.

The earner shares their income with the other, and the non-earner shares in the job of spending the money.

It's actually common, and it is sharing finances.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
Sorry, what do you mean?
Just provide a statement explaining your financial arrangements, set up a joint bank account, make a basic will, look into becoming your partner's superannuation beneficiary, take out a cheap life insurance, get added to the car insurance, put anything substantial you buy in both names and so on. These are all financial aspects of the relationship.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Just provide a statement explaining your financial arrangements, set up a joint bank account, make a basic will, look into becoming your partner's superannuation beneficiary, take out a cheap life insurance, get added to the car insurance, put anything substantial you buy in both names and so on. These are all financial aspects of the relationship.
That is the effects of Tasmanian beer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.