Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner and I met in 2013 when we both were living in Orlando, FL. Since then she and I have travelled to see each other multiple times, been on countless holidays together, and have always been in constant contact. I moved to Australia in May 2017 and we have not been living together for 12 months. Will we still count as a de facto relationship if our evidence provided shows we have been in an ongoing relationship for the past 5 years?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
You need to have been in a de facto relationship for all of the 12 months immediately preceding the visa application.

To establish a de facto relationship, you do not need to have lived together at all, but you would have considerable issue in this case.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I think you can register your relationship in Victoria, that will waive the 12 month relationship requirement.

The thing is you still need the required evidence in the 4 categories.

What is the earliest documentary evidence you have of being in a relationship (dot counting dating)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Off the top of my head June 2013 on her first trip back to Orlando to visit me. From then on she came to visit or I came to Australia to visit almost every 6 months.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Well work on that and hard - that can be a TR (309 0r 820) grant and PR grant at the same time.

That saves years!

Do your homework.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well work on that and hard - that can be a TR (309 0r 820) grant and PR grant at the same time.

That saves years!

Do your homework.
So since I have evidence (social media posts, flight confirmations, hotel reservations in both our names, etc.) that could work yeah?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All these without registering? It's a bit of a steep price for us atm especially with the visa cost being so high. We have financial help, household duties, social evidence, stat decs, etc. We were just wondering about the de facto because that's what gave us some headaches.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
If your relationship is longer than 1 year from date of application there is no need to register it, but you will need to explain any temp periods of separation and how you maintained the relationship during that time.

Ah costs, try throw in several kids.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oof, I can't imagine. Yeah for us explaining why we were separated (my job was in USA, she was still in school here in Australia we were just trying to work out the right timing while continuing the relationship by visiting as much as financially possible) shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
That's very valid reasons.

Then try from a high risk country and lots of refusals and barriers, it can be very tough for some. I know at one point chicken999 with just her partner stated they had spent $50K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.