Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

My partner and I are applying for a defacto visa this week. Its terrifying, as i do not think we have enough evidence and would like some reassurance (if possible!)

We have registered our relationship a few months ago, but my main concern is...

We have no proof of living together besides our friends stat decs and our own statements.

We have been together 19+ months and our argument for not having a joint lease agreement is that due to our familys' religious beliefs we cannot officially live together until we are married, and that we want to have a strong quality of life when we do. (im studying.) On the application, i am saying that we live together, as i stay with him 5 nights a week at his apartment. We just dont have any official proof! I will of course detail our specific living arrangements.

So we are including the following in our application:

-both of our stat decs
-4 stat decs from aussie permanent residents/citizens (saying we lived together)
-1 stat dec from someone on visitor visa
-joint bank acc information
-bank statements from both of us, showing transactions from start of relationship, joint purchase on motor bike, both of our names on a recently opened account
-emails detailing correspondence and photographs from multiple trips
-invoices from 4 separate holidays
-one supper account advising me as my partners beneficiary
-phone bills detailing each others number
-copy of relationship registration certificate
-passports, other identification docs

Im so worried! If our application is declined i have no idea what we will do.

**note: i am aware that having registered our relationship the 12 month requirement is automatically waived. however, i think some of the staff arent aware of this! i called the immigration hotline and had a showdown with the person who answered because she claimed we werent really defacto, and that she had never heard of a defacto couple that was not permanently living together. so ridiculous. i guess im worried because we are still meant to provide proof and we dont really have much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
First, you need a good statement about the reasons why you have not been living together "officially". I know that for same sex couples, the 12 month living together requirement can be waived if there are compassionate reasons such as not allowed legally to live together. It would be up to your CO to decide whether family pressure is a valid reason.

Although the relationship registration "waives" the cohabitation requirement, applicants are still required to prove the same level of commitment than any married couple/de facto couple does. I see you have a joined account, can you prove that you share finances just like any married couple? for example, if you are a student and your partner works full time, is there any proof of significant contributions from him such as paying for your tuition fees? Also can you prove that you have been making grocery shopping for both constantly? I'd recommend you try to prove at least 6 months of a stable and constant routine, because although your relationship is registered, it is still not as strong as a marriage certificate or a year of living together, growing strong through all the ups and downs of a married life. Anyone can sign a RR document and continue their lives as usual, whereas marriage or a year of living together changes it all. So don't trust too much in the RR waiver and aim for a much stronger application than people who do have a joint lease.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.