Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am after some advice to confirm if my thinking is correct.

I am British and met my Australian Partner in London in 2016. We have been together in a committed relationship since November 2016 although we didn't live together in the UK.

His visa ended and he moved back to Australia in July 2017. We have stayed together and my plan has always been to move to Australia to be with him (have just applied for my Working Holiday Visa).
I would have gone sooner but have had a project at work etc etc.

I went to visit him for a 3 week holiday in December :)

I am now in a position where i am ready to move over so have just applied for my WHV and we will live together from when I move there.

At the end of my working holiday visa i am planning on applying for the De Facto Visa. Obviously my WHV is 1 year and there is a 12 month living together requirement on De Facto. When i apply for defacto a few weeks before my WHV expires we won't have a full 12 months of living together, probably 11 months of living together but have been in a committed relationship since November 2016 and have friends who can confirm this, we have been on many holidays together while he was in the UK too and confirm we have kept in contact all throughout our relationship.

Would I still be eligible to apply for De Facto a few weeks before my WHV expires?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I thought there was a one year of living together requirement based on home affairs. Am i incorrect :cool:
I edited the above post but I think you may have been replying when I did, have a read of the link :).

Long and the short there is no requirement to have been living together for 12 months, however you mustn't live apart on a permanent basis, by the time you come over here on a WHV living together you would be deemed as living together so therefore are not living apart on a permanent basis.

As long as you can provide factual evidence to an ongoing commitment to each other at the exclusion of all others for 12 months then you won't have an issue.

If you are worried and want clarification on the quality of your evidence you may consider having a registered Migration Agent having a look over your case and giving you some pointers on what needs strengthening.

$400 consult saves an $8000 mistake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I edited the above post but I think you may have been replying when I did, have a read of the link :).

Long and the short there is no requirement to have been living together for 12 months, however you mustn't live apart on a permanent basis, by the time you come over here on a WHV living together you would be deemed as living together so therefore are not living apart on a permanent basis.

As long as you can provide factual evidence to an ongoing commitment to each other at the exclusion of all others for 12 months then you won't have an issue.

If you are worried and want clarification on the quality of your evidence you may consider having a registered Migration Agent having a look over your case and giving you some pointers on what needs strengthening.

$400 consult saves an $8000 mistake.
Thanks so much. That gives me the comfort I am after :) Just hoping for a quick decision on my WHV now :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.