Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am Australian living in Canada with my de facto partner. We have all the information to apply for a defacto visa here in Canada but we are desperate to leave here and we don't want to have to wait the 6 months that it takes to process the visa. Is it possible that we can apply for a working holiday visa (my partner is 29 and meets the other qualifications for this visa) for my partner and do our application for the de facto visa in Australia?

Does anyone know if this will cause complications when we apply for his papers in Oz because technically we could apply for them here?

Look forward to reading your replies :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
What you suggest is perfectly acceptable. Entering Australia on a WHV and then applying for a defacto, is much preferred to a using tourist visa (which a lot of people do anyway).

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Yes, no problem with using the WHV as Zultan has indicated and if you already have evidence of your 12 months relationship, he could apply for a partner visa as soon as he arrived though he ought to get his Canadian police check underway if he does not have it already and he could just give an address in Australia for that to be sent to if need be.
The other approach you could consider if you have everything done is submit the application there and let them know he'll be going to Australia on a WHV.
If an interview is required, they can schedule that for in Australia and then for a visa to be granted he'll need to take a short trip abroad, many people using New Zealand.
That way, the application is in, about $800 cheaper offshore so that will cover a return flight to NZ and he can get a WHV more or less immediately applied for online and so you can leave straight after submitting the application and he'll be able to work on arrival here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.