Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im a canadian citizin and my partner is from australia. We have been together for 3 years and living together the whole time. We never got joint bank accounts or became eachother beneficiaries because we didnt think it was necessary. We applied for our Defacto spouse visa at the end of August. We got a letter back from our CO saying we hadn't provided enough evidence. We have proof of living in Melbourne for 1 year but only had 1 bill in both our names. She knows we have been together for a long time but just wants more evidence that we are truely commited and have entrusted our finacial assets with eachother. A year ago we didnt think we would ever need to do this and know we need it and dont have it. My partners work visa is running out for Canada and we don't have many options. We dont want to get married for a visa, our CO said we could change our application if we got married. So iff anyone has any advice or has been in a similar situation I would love to hear your stories, as this is really stressing me out.

Thanks so much! Look forward to any replys.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
elkitten has had a relationship background with not the usual evidence edford and she may catch up with your thread and be able to offer in more detail what she has been doing.

She has not yet had the visa granted but hopefully will not be too far away and what I suggested to her a few months back was to make up a well itemised timeline of the relationship and collect supporting evidence about that.

I see on Rowleeh's thread you mention how you have been travelling a bit and even if so, being together the three years ought to count for something in terms of commitment and if it is like you first met either in Australia or on the road somewhere, that he has gone to Canada so as you could be together and your year in Australia together shows some level of commitment and it may be that you just have to put it all together.

Make sure you have statutory declarations from family and friends that can testify to both your year in Australia, time in Canada and travelling between, and will not hurt if you can have a separate little report on travelling that highlights some of the testing times that travelling can bring - and the fact that you are still together; if the people who have known of you being together also have some insight into your travels can include that in a well structured stat. declaration, it'll not hurt.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey there efford! Elkitten to the rescue!!! heehee kidding kidding!

O.k, so I'm in a similar situation--imagine, my BF and I have been together as defacto for over a year and a half, but we had zero bills in both of our names, and our lease wasn't in both of our names either--the lease was half in my name, and no bills were in my name, they were in the name of an ex roomate. To make matter WORST, my bank statements showed the wrong address--my first address in australia, not the one where my BF and i lived for 3+ years!!!!

We also didnt have a shared account for the majority of our relationship since i was being supported by my parents through university so it was obviously impossible to combine funds.

We got around this by providing bank statements for the full 1.5 years we have been together. It was a tedious process, and I'm not sure how well it has worked since I haven't heard from my CO yet, but....

We highlighted everything we paid for together--even if the bills aren't in both your names, you can find on your bank statement payments made to bills, rent, etc... we highlighted:

bill payments
rent payments (although we normally paid in cash, we highlighted big withdrawls that included rent money)
Groceries
Plane tickets
Hotel bookings
rental car bookings
christmas and valentines day presents
petrol
Vetrinary costs (we had rabbits and a dog)

The two of you, depending on your situation, could also highlight--
car insurance payments
car payments
medical insurance
Furniture and white good purchases for your apartment/house
home and contents insurance payments

Basically, whatever costs you two have shared over the past three years, show that on bank statements--just get your highlighter out and write in the margins what the payment is for.

Also like Wanderer said, make sure your statments etc address all of this--can you get more stat decs from family?Can you get photocopies of plane tickets? We provided 6 stat decs from friends, and i wrote a declaration for every part of the application (financial and so on...) to make sure everything was explained and to address any of the "fishy" issues such as my address problem (i also got my mother to confirm the issue)

There has to be some allowance and some understanding in Immi that not all defacto couples have shared accounts etc--life happens, with or without the fancy paperwork =)

Keep us posted on what happens, and I will post as soon as i get something from my CO--might not be till mid october though...apparently the states are really backed up....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Elkittin,

Here's the thing. I have a car payment I have to make every month and with that Im not able to spend much on anything else. My bf ended up paying rent and the bills. They were in my name but he still paid them. They only thing we really shared the cost of was groceries once in awhile, not often, flights, hotels, hostels. Things like that. When we were in aus he paid his own car insurence and when were in canada I pay my car insurence. I like how you said life happens with or without the fancy paperwork, which is exactly how we feel. We talked to our our CO on the phone and basically told her this and she didnt say much. So hopefully we can get a bunch of things together and get this sorted out. We only got 2 stat decs done. Im not sure if anymore would help the financial part of it. I dont know. Im running out of ideas.

Thanks for your help, keep me posted!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hi eford, could have sworn there was a 'd' in it last night [had a long day, getting a new computer, connecting it up etc. must be the reason!] ,

And look you may not have swore at the immi officer but felt like it! eh, with
I like how you said life happens with or without the fancy paperwork, which is exactly how we feel. We talked to our our CO on the phone and basically told her this and she didnt say much.
But you have to understand that they have a bunch of legislated regulations to go by and I'd say that with the bit about the "will" , she was just giving an example for I'd hazard a guess that there are plenty of longer term couples not having wills and some may even still keep separate bank accounts.

And so with
"Here's the thing. I have a car payment I have to make every month and with that Im not able to spend much on anything else. My bf ended up paying rent and the bills. They were in my name but he still paid them. They only thing we really shared the cost of was groceries once in awhile, not often, flights, hotels, hostels. Things like that. When we were in aus he paid his own car insurence and when were in canada I pay my car insurence."

Like car insurance is just one thing but re the bills your Bf paid, did he do that through bank payments or even if he did it with cash, he must have got the money from somewhere, so use whatever statements are available and by the sounds of it, get the whole relationship history better detailed with as you say, more stat. declarations.

The immigration do not want to stop genuine relationships from proceeding via immigration but they do have a role of scrutinising applications to ensure they are genuine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi again,

I understand your frustration my fellow Canadian =)

The way i see it, what you describe can be used to your advantage--you have been together for so long, and he has been supporting you a lot during this time, right?

So write a statement--say that you could only affrd to pay for car insurance for whatever reason and that you BF has been supporting the both of you (that shows a lot of dedication--if you two werent a real couple, why, oh why, would he be paying for rent etc??? get my drift?)

Then, get copies of your bills fr the past year or however much you can...

then, provide bank statements like i said--highlight ANY shared costs on yours, including car insurance (did your bf use this car? if so, write that in your "financial" statement). Then on his--highlight EVERYTHING that went towards both of you--groceries, rent, bills etc.

you will be surprised at how much stuff you will fnd on there!

ask your CO ifyou can show documentation for the past year or so, and not the whole three years--it will get your documents to him/her faster, but you may have to do all three years.

By declarations, sure, stuff from your friends and family probably wont help, but one written by you to explain will!

life does happen without all the fancy paperwork, like i said.... but there will always be a paper trail, somewhere, or stuff you have done... i spent three (yes 3) months trying to get phone records...they were there it was just a matter of getting the phone company to tell me the truth (no small feat!!!!).

Don't loose hope--look through statements and ideas will come to you.

My BF and i had to base most of our case on them due to a lack of "fancy" aka both of our name paperwork.

Keep us posted...remember, you can doooooooooo it =)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wanderer & Elkitten!

Getting advice from other people really helps.

Anyway I see what your saying about why they have to make sure the relationship is genuine. We have proved it through many pictures, mail etc. We did a time line sorta thing in the statement of our relationship letters. in those letters it explains where we were and for how long everything like that.

He has supported me alot! Pretty much the whole time we have been together. So we will write a letter explaining everyting, that should help.

We have spent the afternoon retrieving all of our bank and credit card statements and highlighted everything. I will go back through and highlight my car insurence and my loan payment for my truck. In the letter I will explain I had car payments and with that wasn't able to coveer rent aswell. So Brian supported us both.

Hopefully we will get everything sent off soon so I can update you.

Thanks for the words guys, its helped!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys,

Im writing another one to see if it will post. lol

I have tried posting a reply 3 times and it wont show up.

Anyway Thanks alot for the words, it helps when you talk to ppl with similar stories.

Ok so we did a time line sorta thing in our statement of our relationship letters. It explained everything. Where we were and the dates we were there. Is that what you mean? I undertsnad then wanting to make sure our relationship is genuine, but man i sent in so many pictures, envelopes with both naames for the past year, etc. What more do they need. I really hope the highlighting of the bills work, any idea if it will or not? They will be able to see on my bf's bank statements that he has clearly supported me for a long time and we will write that in a letter explaoining why.

Anyway have you heard anything yet? For your visa?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think the bank statements will do the job perfectly and the letter also--from what you said, it sounds like your CO wants more financial evidence and bank statements will surely do the trick. There is nothing you can do for the fact you dont have "tidy"evidence, and going through the effort of highlighting bank statements will help if not satisfy what your CO wants.

I'm pretty sure the statement thing will work, i don't see why it wouldn't, unless the CO thought that you were hiding something...or that it didn't show that you two "share" money and monetary responsibilities. Make sure you give your CO your statements too to show where all your money went.

I think you should be fine--since you will probably hear from your CO before me, make sure to let me know how you go!!!

Nothing from my CO yet. So far, all i got was the e-mail stating that they had officially received my application and that my CO was assigned. I got that two weeks after they took the money out of the account too. I'm not even getting anything confirming whether or not he received other things i sent in so I am assuming that he is pretty busy...maybe I will e-mail him.

If only they kept some sort of Blog so i knew what he was working on.... *sigh* i miss my BF terribly too, he had to go back to Oz two and a half months ago now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heyy

When did yo first send in your app? Have you done your medical checks yet? That crazy they took so long to notify you. They notified me the day it got there and took the money soon after. I made my med check appt before I had all the stat decs back from Australia, so I went for my check then the stat dec came the next day, worked out good. Now if the rest of it was this easy. :S

That sucks your bf had to go back. mine is still here he still has a year left on his canadian visa. However he has work waiting for him in Melbourne but he told them he isnt going back until we get my visa, so thats good that they understand. Where about in OZ will you guys be?

Ya by the sounds of it she just wants to see financial evidence. Hopefully this shows enough. We have highlighed everything on mine and my bf's statements so she can clearly see where all our money went to.

Talk soon!!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Seems we have something of a mini gliche in the posts showing eford but all three posts appeared.
I'll just do a tidy up and knock out the duplication.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I sent my application on about August 12th, they took the money out on the 14th, and then i didn't hear from them until the 27th. Then I was told i would hear from them again "probably in 6 to 8 weeks" so by the 22nd of october supposedly. I dont like that they use the word "probably" though. For example, on there website, it says that you have to give them 7 days from the time they take the money out until you can call to see whats going on. I did that obviously then they say to me: "no....actually right now you're lookng at 10 days till initial contact."

So I have like zero idea as to when I'll hear anything. My BF had to leave since his U.S visa ran out and he couldn't get appropriate work in Canada (he needed to get a "good" job and couldn't afford to work at a cafe or grocery store, long story...). It was such a huge blow since we were planning on doing the whole defacto thing, but at least two years down the road, not now!

I have completed 2 out of the 4 police checks, and my medical is done too. One of the two remaining police checks is sent to a friend and should be processed soon, and the other one im getting sent off later today hopefully--had to wait to be finger printed.

I just hope it wont be too long now--i just want to know whats going to happen with my life, which im sure you understand =)

good job on getting your bank statements together, i really think it will do the trick--after all, bank statements are as good as you can get as evidence to show what you have been spending. Plus, purchases along the way prove other aspects of your relationship(for example, in mine, I helped to take care of my BF's dog for years, especially when he got very ill and I was at home most days because of university, and he was at work all day. We had written about that in our statements, and hadn't thought too much of it, but then all these vet purchases were on the statements, so we highlighted them too...).

Hope it all works out for you soon and quickley =)

Keep us posted and good luck with the highlighter! =)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey

Wow thats a long wait. I sent everything express so it was there the next day and i got assigned a CO the day it got there. That sucks he had to go back my bf might have to if his job in OZ wont wait for him, I hope they will but who knows.

How do aussies go with getting a working holiday for the US? Can they only get 1? For canada they can get unlimited 2 year visas until there 30. What about you going to OZ? Can you only get 1 working holiday? Thats how it is here. sucks i wish it was the same for both countires. Are you close to the canadian border? Where about in the US are you?

4 police checks?!?! why so many? From different countires?

Ya I had to order more statements which sucked cause it costs money but we are desperate for this to work. We got half way through our letter last night, meant to finish it tonight but decided to watch aussie rules footy from last week instead, haha oh well. Get er done tomorrow.

Well fingers crossed for you and me for a quick responce!

·
Registered
228 Posts
hahaha! well, you should tell that story to your CO (that you watched Oz rules instead), he'll definitly see you as a dedicated quasi aussie then =)

No such thing as a working holiday in the U.S really, not like Oz, its moe of a green card/work permit application...my BF got the canada WH visa--he activated it anyways despite having to leave so that way he didnt pay for it in vain. Plus we might go back to Canada in mid 2010 when he finished all of his medical stuff (like i said...loooooooong story as to why we didnt end up staying in Canada). The tourists visa lasts 3 months, he could have potentially TRIED to renew it (no guarantees, otherwise one has to leave the Americas, as in you cant go to canada or south america to renew a tourist visa, infact, if you go to the states for 2 weeks and then spend three month in Canada, and then try to come back to get a flight out of the States, technically you have overstayed your U.S visa and they can, and have done to some people, lock you up in a detention centre) for about 350$. He ended up going back since his old job offered him a position back again so....

I have done the working holiday visa in Oz already (which was soooooooooooo stupid in hindsight but anyways), and I dont want to go there on a tourist visa as i wont be able to work.Im in Western NY really close to Ontario and Quebec province, i actually wanted to apply to Ottawa (im a canadian citizen) instead of D.C. but got told i couldnt since i didnt have an address there.

I need 4 police checks because i spent 8 years in singapore, 5 in Oz an a total of over 1 year in the states for the past 10 years... sucked! Singapore one was really hard to get and im waiting on that one now. You need to get 2 for the states--the state that you live in and from the FBI. LEt's just hope they dont ask me for a Canada one since i havent lived there since i was 8 years old!!!

Where abouts in Canada are you guys? You should have your visa soon by the sounds so i wouldnt be too worried =)

Good luck to you both--did you watch the grand final? I couldnt get it online on the night!!!

Better go... i actually just whacked my head REALLY hard on a cabinet so sorry if im not making much sense =)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya we LOVE footy. My bf has obviously always been into it but when I went over I got right into it and we went to every game! We definaltly watched the grand final this year a bunch of bars were showing it but I went to my dads as he got the channel. It wasnt online only on TSN2. Our team was in it and they won so we were stoked!!

Man the visa situation for your bf sounds soooo confusing!! We tried to get seasonal visas for Colorado a few years ago but sadly they ran out, we tried for a second time same thing so we deemed it too hard and gave up, lol

Oh thats kool, we are living close to the NY border as well, were close to Fort Erie, bout 5 minutes.

8 years in singapore!! 5 years in Oz?!? How were you able to stay for 5 years? Did you get into the footy while you were there? Were you in Melbourne? I totally thought you were from the US, are you in school there right now?

Man I cannot WAIT to be back in OZ! I miss Degraves, and Bourke street!!

Hope your head feels better!:)

·
Registered
228 Posts
My head does feel better--biggest knock to the head I've had since I was a little kid heehee.

You a Cats supporter? Congrats on yet another win! I love footy too--my BF is a total sports addict and I just got so into it from the first time I visited Oz. I'm a Blues woman myself. Footy is just so much fun to watch and go to the games, I normally don't really get into sports either. For me its footy and hockey... and I really don't like cricket despite years of trying to =)

My BF and I were actually trying to move to Toronto and we were soooooo surprised to find a pub playing a kanga's/crow's game! Ontario must be a lot more into it than one would assume...or have a heck of a lot more aussies than one would assume =)

Totally understand about giving up on a U.S visa--it may be real difficult to get an Aussie Visa, but at least the options are there.... in plain english =)

I'm Canadian, born and bred (Quebecoise to be exact, heehee) but we moved around my whole life because of my dad's job. Because of the singapore thing, I wanted to go to university in Melbourne since it was "close" and had more enticing uni's than on singapore. My parents ended up moving back to the states a week after I left for uni because of my dad's job--we lived in WNY before moving to singapore and still had a house there, so they moved my dad back to america. When i finished uni, I came back here to the states to my parents house, and my BF and I were using my parents house as a base to go to Toronto. Heehee complicated I know--it's kinda one of those stories you need to see me doing hand motions to for it to make sense!

I went to uni in melbourne for 4 years, but then I had like 6 months before on a WHV then 6 month after until my visa expired, so about 5 years. I miss Swanston street and Fitzroy!!! Bourke street is awesome too! I miss the heat..... $10 parma and pot meals.... sigh!

Did you meet your BF on a WHV? I think its actually really interesting the amount of Canadians that ive seen on this board asking about defacto visa's (myself included)...wonder what they put in our water that makes us love aussies so much heehee!!!

Did you finish your financial stuff? If your BF bought christmas presents for people in your family, highlight that too! Just thought of that--i did it one mine.

Hope it's all going swimmingly =)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BLUES FAN?!?!?! AHHH Oh well as long as your not a Pies or Hawks fan!! Have you heard about Fev? Carlton put him up for trade because he is a drunken mess! Ya we love our catters! I met the players a few times. Love them. I hear ya about the criket! I hate it. So boring. Im a hockey and footy fan through on through. What NHL team you go for? Im an Avalanche fan, Patrick Roy is my hero! haha

We watched the grand final 2 years ago at a pub in Toronto, soo many aussies were there. Toronto has a canadian footy team there called the Toronto Dingos. They host the AFL parties every year.

So you lived in Singpore with your family. Makes sence now. What did you study in Melb? Do you guys plan to stay in Melb when you get back? We will either be living in Kensington or Docklands. Im pulling for Kensington, thats where we were before and we loved it. They have the best charcoal chicken there. haha\

I met Brian while he was on hiss first canadian working holiday. We were both working at a fishing resort in north western ontario. Small world to have both ended up there. At the end of summer we moved to Banff for 6 months for snowboarding! Been going strong ever since. It is craazy how many cdn's are in or going to Aus and vis versa, out west is flodding with Aussies.

Did you ever listen to hamish and Andy. They just did a caravan of couage across the US, they were ghosting in LA on Jay Leno, I love those guys!

Ya done highlighting for now, i had to order more statements from ANZ so just waiting on that. Hopefully be able to get everything sent in next week.

Do you got fb? Silly question I know since it seems like everyond and there dog has it but some ppl (including my bf) that dont have it. I like msging on there way better then here. haha

Take Care!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
$10 parma and pot meals.... sigh!
I think the days of the $10 P & Ps may be numbered or have gone for even my favourite the D of W on Flinders was up to about $13 before it closed, the place being gutted for whatever but apparently they are going to keep the facade for it was the oldest continuously licensed hotel in Melbourne.

For the Chicken ones at least, salivate over selecting:
Chicken Parmigiana Ratings, Reviews and Specials

And yep Carlton could do well for Fev to be somewhere else.
Geelong were lucky for Saints poor kicking eford, a point that was given as a goal and a couple of other atrocious decisions:
. Mooney clenched fist tickle on Zack's jaw after marking [but it was a hit to the face]
. And then compare Saint running towards ball on forward line in last quarter, pulled back by shorts and no free given with Ablett free for arm about body that goes on all the time [goal result] and for further measure two Geelong defenders all over Riewoldt in late marking attempt.

And no, not a Saints supporter but blatant umpiring mistakes are not good and may have decided the outcome.

Just don't put down which team you support in further submission and good luck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I cannot beeeelieve that whole Fev thing... but ok ok no more team talk ;)

You can get a realy really awesome parma and pot at the Albion in north melbourne but i think it went up to 11$. So worth it though--you get tons of fries, salad AND coleslaw and the parma itself is massive and the cheese is perfect.

Eford--i would love to live in docklands or kensington too!!!! got some friends in kensington too... some parts are pretty good, but others...well, its more for the location and proximity to the city than anything else.

My BF actually went for a position at the ontario AFL... it was soo dissapointing that it didnt work out too, he was perfect for the job. I love the way you said you and your boy met, so cute! I really hope it works out for you guys!

Anyhoo--i do have FB, but i have my setting up so no one can add me, i have to add them, so if you still want, send me a PM and ill try and find you. Us Aussie-Lovin-Canadians gotta stick together =)

How are things going? well i hope!!!! no news for me yet!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.