Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a few questions in regards the partner visa. This is my situation, my partner and me have been living together for 10 months BUT we had a housemate. When I moved with my partner he had a lease agreement with a housemate already and after consulting the landlord he decided I couldn´t be included on the lease but he allowed me to live with my boyfriend and pay him the rent directly, which we did during this time. The landlord is willing to give a stat dec as well as our housemate to confirm this.

We visited a migration agent recently and although we thought we got a strong case he said that those 10 months will not be evidence of living together since we had a housemate. We were planning to apply in 2 months but this news really discouraged us and my partner visa will finish in january 2012. He also told us that because we didnt have a joint bank account for more than 12 months we cannot apply. We have a joint account for the last 6 months.

So my question is, is it true we can´t include the 10 months of living together because we had a housemate? Is it true as well what he said about the joint account? Has anyone been in a similar situation like me? Any advice would be more than welcome.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Hi There,

I have never heard such rubbish before. it does not matter if you have a house mate or if you have 3. as long as you are living together.

Also my partner and I have only been living together for 8 months and I dont have my name on a lease with her either as she owns the property. We also only opened our joint bank account in September 2010.. so ages short of 12 months.

If you want to use the lawyer I used to speak to him send me a private message. I applied for my partner visa on the 2nd of April and was approved 14 days later.

Cheers,
Dylan

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Hi there,

I agree with winikd that this agent you saw is talking nonsense, and I think if you paid for this advice you should report them for misinforming you.

You can both write in your relationship statements exactly the reasons you just exlpained, and can also get your sharemate to write a statement in support of this. And, if your landlord is nice, you could it straight from the horse's mouth too.

So, there's no need to worry about it :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey GloQui!

I got my visa even though I lived with my partners parents, without lease and without official rent. We did move and my name came onto the lease, but that was 2 months before we applied for the visa.

We got her mum to write a separate stat dec and included drawings of the house to make clear that we had our own space and privacy.

And about the joint bank account that is rubbish too. It doesn't matter for how long you have it as long as you use it for your daily payments. I used to get bank statements with 4 pages because we used it nearly every day.

Good luck to you!
Cori

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi winikd!

I am trying to find out how to send a PM here but I don't see any option available. Perhaps you can post here the details of the lawyer you used or send me a PM if you find out how to do it? Thanks :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.