Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Me and my boyfriend, living in Australia, have started to collect all the papers and information we need to apply for the Australian partner visa 820. However I recently got told to apply for the same but for New Zealand as the boyfriend has a dual citizenship and the cost of it is drastically lower which intrigued us.

We don't have any plans at the moment to move to NZ which makes me question if this would work at all. The immediate worry is obviously not getting the same benefits and rights being on the NZ visa compared to the aus one (while living in aus). For example, how would this effect me wanting to study here? And would I have to apply for an additional visa to stay in Australia?
A woman working at the immigration office in NZ also told me the visa would have to be 'activated' once granted. As well as having to renew the visa.

Any information or advice would be much appreciated!
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
This came up once before, and as I recall the applicant wasn't going to qualify for the 461 visa (family of NZ citizen) since her partner didn't hold the required Special Category 444 visa because he was also an Australian citizen.

The 820 visa is a better option since it's a permanent visa. The 461 is only a temporary visa so you don't qualify for full benefits of a permanent resident, and it only lasts for 5 years.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Unlike NZ citizens, NZ permanent residents have no rights whatsoever in Australia.

By applying for a NZ partner visa, you'd become a NZ permanent resident and as Maggie pointed out that won't help you at all, as your partner is an Australian citizen and not a sc. 444 holder.

The sc. 820 visa is a much better option.

Reactions: Dinkum

·
Registered
94 Posts
NZ is significantly easier and faster to get a visa for (speaking from my own experiences) HOWEVER if you want to live/work/study in Australia, I wouldn't recommend trying to subvert the system by getting an NZ visa instead. If you are committed to settling in Aus, the only real pathway is to get the Aus visa. Even if you did get an NZ visa, you would be very restricted as to what you can do (eg I don't think you'd be able to study) and eventually you would have to get an Aus visa anyway, which means you'll pay more in the long run.
It's really not worth the cost saving if you are not looking at moving to NZ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.