Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm Canadian and my boyfriend is Australian. We've been in a defacto relationship since February 2011. We have thought about applying in Australia but now hearing that the wait time is between 12-18 months and realizing the restrictions placed on that, we've decided to apply offshore.

Question: Does anyone know the best place to process your application.

a) We are thinking about Ottawa and I've followed the thread so processing time seems to be around 5-6 months. However, the issue is I don't live in Canada-I work in the aid sector and therefore have worked in a number of different places (currently in Pakistan). I will be back in Australia in April and my visa expires that same month. We'll be in Canada in August for one month. Do you have to be in Canada to receive the visa?

b) We are planning on moving to Nepal-I looked into processing there but the visa's are processed in New Delhi-taking up to 7 months.

c) The other option would be to apply in Jakarta or Singapore, on my way out of Australia.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been told that visa processing times are different for each place, but can't find clear information about Jakarta or Singapore.

Is it fine to be out of the country in which you've applied?

Sorry this is confusing. We are trying to find the best option so we can be together!

Thanks very much
Karen

·
Registered
159 Posts
You don't have to be in the country you applied from but if you apply offshore you have to be offshore when the visa is granted. Not sure what the deal is with doing medicals in a country other than that which you applied from.

The major factor that affects processing times is whether you're applying from a high risk or low risk country. I don't know high/low risk necessarily refers to the country you're applying from or your nationality though. But processing times for high risk countries are generally much longer. Canada is definitely "low risk". Processing times differ depending on how clear cut your case is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My partner and I applied for de facto 309 on dec 7, 2011 to Ottawa. It's been a little over 5 months now and we are still waiting. I guess no news is good news though right?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Jewlleeah said:
My partner and I applied for de facto 309 on dec 7, 2011 to Ottawa. It's been a little over 5 months now and we are still waiting. I guess no news is good news though right?
Hi jewlleeah

I guess it dependa on where you applied. For example I applied from Madrid, and a week or two ago a girl posted on the madrid partner visa thread, that she had lodged her application in November, and had just been granted her visa.( April )
5 months :) . Contact your case officer and check the status of your application.
Hopefully it should take much mote time:.
I applied on the 6th of February and expect the visa to be granted in July/August.

A

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi jewlleeah

I guess it dependa on where you applied. For example I applied from Madrid, and a week or two ago a girl posted on the madrid partner visa thread, that she had lodged her application in November, and had just been granted her visa.( April )
5 months :) . Contact your case officer and check the status of your application.
Hopefully it should take much mote time:.
I applied on the 6th of February and expect the visa to be granted in July/August.

A
Hello rufa :)

I tried contacting my case officer but every time I do I just get a reply "your case officer will contact you if anything else is needed". Maybe I'll try calling them again tomorrow.. Don't want to be a pain but I'm starting to get antsy. Would be nice to know whats going on.. is Madrid normally very quick with processing?

·
Registered
7 Posts

I tried contacting my case officer but every time I do I just get a reply "your case officer will contact you if anything else is needed". Maybe I'll try calling them again tomorrow.. Don't want to be a pain but I'm starting to get antsy. Would be nice to know whats going on.. is Madrid normally very quick with processing?
Hi Jewlleeah,

My partner and I applied in Argentina so it's probably a bit different. But we were told in March by our case officer that while our application was decision ready, she probably wouldn't be able to advise us until May about the decision as the processing time was 6 months and they usually had to stick to that but if she could she would let us know beforehand.

We just found out yesterday that the application was successful (yay! :)) almost 6 months to the day! So I would be patient and wait at least 6 months before following up with your case officer, apparently they don't like that. I know it's difficult but patience is a virtue as they say!

You might see in other threads that they only release so many visas per month out of each embassy so this might be partly to do with the waiting period. But, unfortunately, keeping on asking your case officer isn't going to speed up the process.

·
Registered
199 Posts

I´ve contacted the london based office twice and although it isn´t were I lodge my application, they do have access to it. here is the link:

Contact Us - Telephone Contacts for Europe

I know for example that everything is in order and a decision is soon to be made. At least we get to find out something.
I guess they all have to stick to the 5/6months period to process the visas and grant the limit each month.
Some embassies are faster than others based on the number of applications they receive. Remember that they are getting applications from all types of visas, and with an financial crises going on at the moment so many people are try to leave their countries. I aso know that Madrid is overloaded with applications and they have requested help to process the visas.
Madrid processes visas from Portugal, Spain, France Luxemburg. (there might be more ). The work load must be enormous!
One thing is a fact they do stick to the times they give.

Fingers crossed ;) You´ll be posting your arrival date in Oz in no time!
You´re almost there, just 1 more month

·
Registered
8 Posts
I´ve contacted the london based office twice and although it isn´t were I lodge my application, they do have access to it. here is the link:

Contact Us - Telephone Contacts for Europe

I know for example that everything is in order and a decision is soon to be made. At least we get to find out something.
I guess they all have to stick to the 5/6months period to process the visas and grant the limit each month.
Some embassies are faster than others based on the number of applications they receive. Remember that they are getting applications from all types of visas, and with an financial crises going on at the moment so many people are try to leave their countries. I aso know that Madrid is overloaded with applications and they have requested help to process the visas.
Madrid processes visas from Portugal, Spain, France Luxemburg. (there might be more ). The work load must be enormous!
One thing is a fact they do stick to the times they give.

Fingers crossed ;) You´ll be posting your arrival date in Oz in no time!
You´re almost there, just 1 more month
Thank you so much!
Really helps to put things into perspective and just wait it out. I know Ottawa is doing Washington applications at the moment as well so I assume they are pretty backed up. Can't wait to be posting our arrival! Will keep you updated. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.