Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with regard to the processing times for the 309 defacto visa lodged in Auckland, NZ.

I am feeling a little despondent because it seems to be taking so long. and we're keen to start our lives together in Aus!

This is our situation:
  • I am an Australian citizen and my partner is a UK citizen who grew up in NZ so has permanent NZ residency here.
  • We made our application and application payment on 16 June 2011. It was front-loaded with all the information required except for the medicals (we heard these expire in six months so thought we'd wait till we're assigned a case officer prior to doing this).
  • We received our letter of receipt within a couple of days but haven't heard anything since.
How long is it taking to receive a case officer in NZ?
The DIAC website says low risk countries have a processing time of five months, we've been waiting six without being assigned a CO.

Any news/information would be greatly appreciated.... Feeling a little desperate and keen for some progress!

Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi PleaseAU,

I also applied for a 309 in June 2011. After 6 months waiting I contacted the Australian consulate-general in Auckland and got the response that as of 15 December they were still processing April 2011 applications.

So... another couple of months to wait, I expect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh dear :(

This is bad news for me. I'm about to apply for Offshore partner visa (married). I'm an Australian, and my husband is UK citizen. We've lived here in NZ for 12 years. We were hoping to move to Australia early in 2012. Sounds like we're in for a long wait.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your message watchingthegrassgrow. We did the same thing in November and they said they were up to May. How confusing! Did they mention how long it takes to process each month? Would love any further info.

Ezza have you tried getting your husband nz citizenship? Nz citizens can work in au and it's only a six wk wait. You seem to have been in nz for the requisite 5 yes already.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ezza have you tried getting your husband nz citizenship? Nz citizens can work in au and it's only a six wk wait. You seem to have been in nz for the requisite 5 yes already.
He is eligible...we felt like we couldn't apply though because there is a question on the form asking if the applicant intends to stay in NZ for the next 12 months. Because we were already thinking about moving, we felt that it would be lying to state 'yes'. This would be so much easier, but we couldn't sleep if we stated we intended to stay in NZ when in our heart of hearts we know we won't. He'd love NZ citizenship though..we love NZ and our kids are citizens, and there's a chance we or they'll come back someday.

Sigh...a moral dilemma...anyone else care to comment :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi PleaseAU,

I also applied for a 309 in June 2011. After 6 months waiting I contacted the Australian consulate-general in Auckland and got the response that as of 15 December they were still processing April 2011 applications.

So... another couple of months to wait, I expect.
Hi watchingthegrassgrow,

Any news on your front? Really keen to know how you're getting on as we're in the same boat. What date in June did you apply? We applied on 16 June. Have you had any news?

Did you go stand in the 90min queue to find out what month they're processing (that's what we did).

Any news so very much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi PleaseAU,

No news here... but to be honest nothing happens in Auckland mid Dec - mid Jan, so was not expecting anything.

My application was submitted on 23 June 2011, so you'll probably hear from them before I do.

I originally wasted a few hours trying to get someone on the phone but then gave up and emailed. Got a response after a couple of days. The email pretty much said that we would be notified once a CO had been assigned.

Nothing to do but wait... please update this thread if you hear anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I submitted our application on 13th January, at the AVAC (TTS services).

It took over an hour to be seen and all they did was take the money, give me a receipt, enter the name and passport number, and courier the whole lot to the Australian Consulate.

The staff there don't really know much about the process...when I asked about when I should expect to be assigned a case officer, she had to refer to the website, and knew less about it that I did. In fact, I was explaining to her the difference between the subclasses of the visa.

It is also virtually impossible to get visa information here in Auckland. The Australian Consulate numbers are circular trap recorded voice messages. For advice about visas they refer you to TTS who don't actually seem to ever answer the phone.

So now we wait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Ezza,

I hope you realise now that your application might take 12 months... in which case you'll be staying in NZ for the next year.

So, is there still a moral dilemma about your husband applying for NZ citizenship?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Ezza,

I hope you realise now that your application might take 12 months... in which case you'll be staying in NZ for the next year.

So, is there still a moral dilemma about your husband applying for NZ citizenship?
Yeah I see your point, but no, we're happy with our decision. I have read of immigration NZ investigating applications where there has been proven intent of immigration to Australia. The person was charged with immigration fraud, and citizenship in NZ revoked. It's likely that would also impact on any application to Australia as well so we thought it best not to take the risk given there is plenty of evidence (not excluding my posts on the flipping internet) that we intend to move to Australia.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Ezza,

Sorry, to clarify, I was not implying that he get citizenship to move before the visa is granted - you mentioned "He'd love NZ citizenship". So as there is still an expectation that he'd be in NZ for 12 months he may as well become a citizen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Ezza,

Sorry, to clarify, I was not implying that he get citizenship to move before the visa is granted - you mentioned "He'd love NZ citizenship". So as there is still an expectation that he'd be in NZ for 12 months he may as well become a citizen.
Ah yes, i get you now....but nah...we'll follow this road now and go down the path of Australian citizenship in the future.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In 2010 consulate in Auckland processed my 309 application in about 6 weeks (together with some special police check requirement because I'm from Serbia - I guess a high risk country). The application was preloaded with everything we could obtain beforehand, including medical check. I hope you guys are granted visas very soon - processing time seems completely random to me. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone who applied for the defacto 309 in Auckland from June onwards in 2011 has had any news yet? Would love even a glimmer of hope!

Cheers,

PleaseAU

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone who applied for the defacto 309 in Auckland from June onwards in 2011 has had any news yet? Would love even a glimmer of hope!

Cheers,

PleaseAU
so my partner and i applied to the auckland consulate june 14th - and received an email a few days ago, asking for more information regarding how i can support him in australia. good news that we have finally heard something! guessing once we get that sorted then its all done.. so theres defo hope for u!

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeh we did :) we sent medicals a few months after though. hopefully the process is over! now just a wait to get approved finally :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got an email 2 weeks ago from Auckland branch - they are currently processing mid Sept 2011 applications, could be October by now. Does anybody know if we're allowed to leave NZ while application is pending?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.