Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just need some advice and would appreciate any replies. To give some background, I met my Australian partner in 2016 whilst on a Working Holiday Visa. I went back home to the UK in December that year, we kept in touch and decided to begin an official relationship in February 2017. We both made visits to each other that year, with the agreement that we would eventually like me to settle in Australia therefore needing a defacto visa. Now, unfortunately we have been unable to apply for this due to him having previously sponsored his ex partner, and I am aware of the 5 year wait inbetween sponsors, however it will have been 5 years in May 2019, so that is when we plan on applying. Obviously being in a long distance relationship is very challenging, so we decided that I would apply for a WHV for New Zealand, meaning I could earn some money and my partner could come visit me frequently. I arrived in Australia on a 3 month tourist visa in December 2017, and left for New Zealand in March this year, which is where I am currently. I plan on applying for a 6 month tourist visa heading back to Australia in July, coming back to New Zealand again to work next year when the 6 months will be up, then coming back to Australia where by then, we should be good to start applying for our defacto. I just wondered if this is a good way to do things, or if border control/immigration would have a problem with this? My partner and I have registered our relationship with the state of Victoria, and plan on moving in together when I get back with our names on a lease. We have a savings account in both our names and we also have evidence of money transactions made to each other. We have photos, plane tickets proving visits, text messages going back to when we first met, invitations addressed to both of us and evidence of meeting family/friends. Is there anything else that anyone can think of that they would recommend doing to support our application? I am a bit of a worrier, so although it is a while off til we can apply I would like some reassurance that we are going in the right direction. Thankyou so much in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Some other things you can consider are:
- joint bills (Foxtel, AGL/Origin, Telstra/Optus etc)
- your partner listing you as a beneficiary on his super (you as well if you still have your Super in Australia)
- listing each other an authorised contact on your ATO account (this can be done in mygov)
- your partners tax return with the ATO showing that he has listed you as his partner
- you as an additional card holder on your partners credit card
- you added to your partners car insurance (even if you don't plan to drive it is still good)
- any joint purchases that you make
- joint hotel bookings
- tickets to things you have done together (tourist attractions, concerts, movies, sport events etc)

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I met my partner from the Netherlands she was on holiday in Australia but she had to leave not long after we met. I went back to Netherlands about a month later to spend some time with her but then I had to get home and back to work.

She came back to Australia a few times on a tourist visa. The first time she came back was about 4 months after leaving. This was fine. But the next time she came back she got held for an interview at the border and they went through her phone and all her luggage to look for evidence that she was trying to live in Australia.

They let her through but cautioned her not to break the rules. The 3rd time she cam back she had a return ticket and she was with me on the incoming flight which helped but she still got a lot of questions and they wanted to check her laptop and phone. I think the customs guy kind of knew what was going on and he recommended we apply for an 820 ASAP but he was nice about it because she was always very careful about not breaking any rules and not doing anything suspicious while in aus on a tourist visa so all the phone records and luggage looked legit.

All I'm trying to say is be careful how much you come and go from the country because they will very quickly notice and start to ask a lot of questions.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
All I'm trying to say is be careful how much you come and go from the country because they will very quickly notice and start to ask a lot of questions.
This is sound advice. i have had several clients who were told on a second or third visit that this would be the last time they would be allowed to enter.

I have had a few others who were turned around and sent home (and incurred an exclusion period as a result) because of stuff found on their phones or on FaceBook (discussing lack of funds, work etc.).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I will have sufficient funds as obviously I am working over here in New Zealand, and as far as I’m aware, there is nothing on my phone or laptop that they could potentially see as ‘suspicious’. That is kind of worrying though. 😞 Maybe we need to rethink our plans.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I am one that was stopped the third time I came into Australia...my problem is that I was honest that I'd originally planned to lodge a 189 visa...was bringing my children to Australia to see if they like it and was waiting for my skills assessment to be complete (a whole OTHER story). They looked through my phone, then they asked my husband (was my fiance at the time) "What will you do if we don't allow her back into Australia?" at which point he looked her dead in the eye and said "I'll be going with her!" The agent then relaxed and told us that if I couldn't apply for the 189, then we should do a partner visa, as they would not allow me back into the country on a tourist visa after that 3rd time.

The first 2 times I came into Australia, I was honest about the 189 visa...and didn't have any issues at all. Turns out we ended up applying for the partner visa anyway. So be aware, that they will probably get suspicious.

Reactions: Ejona
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.