Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Me (AUS Permanent Resident) and my partner met in Japan early last year and have been together since. She arrived in Australia (VIC) on a working holiday visa late June, we took temporary residence at my sisters place for a week or two until we could find a place to rent and move in together there.

Her working holiday visa will be lapsing towards the end of June and we are currently planning on submitting an application for a defacto partner visa.

Although we have been together in Japan (living with her family), on paper we have only had the same address for the last 9 months or so. If we submit an application for a partner visa, even at the latest just before her working holiday visa expires, we would just be short of the 12 months defacto.

Will that effect our application?

Is it worth registering the relationship / can we still successfully register a relationship at 10months or so? Given the site says 'each case is assessed on its merit' - whatever that means - and it takes 28 days to process.

Thanks for your help in advance

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Not living together for 12 months is going to affect your application.

You cannot register your relationship in Vic if both of you have not been living in Vic for more than 12 months.

Maybe you want to see whether she can get a 2nd WHV?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply GBP,
I was afraid that would be the case but reading through some posts it sounds like there have been a mix of answers with some saying they only required 6months of evidence of cohabitation.

We considered for her to apply for a 2nd WHV - doing the 3 months rural work - but some of her previous work friends mentioned that it took them substantially longer than 3 months to sign off the '88 days' (with some saying it took 5months plus), in either case she has missed the window to complete the rural work.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
if you have registered your de facto relationship, it does waive the 12 months cohabitation requirement. But you still need to have substantial amount of evidence to support your application.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Toshi,

Perhaps you might want to bite the bullet and apply for the 300 prospective marriage visa. Everyone has different circumstances effecting their decisions but I have a client who is in almost an identical scenario to yours and that's the application they're going for.

Are you familiar with the 300 prospective marriage visa?

Kind regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.