Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My fiance is from Thailand, is currently on a student visa, 500.
We have been a couple since July 2017. We have lived together for almost two years and have a joint savings account because someday we would like to buy a home together, but also have our own separate accounts. We have joint ownership over our car and report our income to centerlink fortnightly as a defacto couple since the day he moved into my rental home.
I am worried that since I can only work part time due to my disability, that I cannot sponsor my fiance as a partner because I earn less than the average full time income per year.
I couldn't get a straight answer out of immigration and so I'm here.
My fiance will graduate from his diploma course this November.
We are unsure what visa to apply for next.

I would go live and work part time in Thailand, however the Thai government would not grant me PR status and I wouldn't earn enough to do the three year cycle of business visas. I may also fail their medical health checks.

He has several qualifications as well as 3+ years experience working in his field of study and we would be happy to go and live in rural areas of Australia. He originally was going to apply for the skilled migrant visa to work in a rural area, since my hometown is in rural Australia, and we didn't want people talking smack about our relationship. That visa no longer exists as it was discontinued in November last year (_ _)

Would anyone have any advice? Or any ideas about what we can do going forward?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Riley <3

Yeah, we were both worried about that. But I did seriously explore the option because I'd rather live with him in Thailand than here without him.
If Australia wouldn't accept us, I was hoping Thailand would... but I'd have to be on continuous visiting visas. His hometown is not near a border so exiting and coming back every 90 days with no work permit isn't exactly doable either.

· Registered
6,521 Posts
Your income and medical status are irrelevant to a partner visa application. If you go to my website: pinoyau.com and use the contact form I shall assess your case, if you wish.

· Registered
7,393 Posts
I am worried that since I can only work part time due to my disability, that I cannot sponsor my fiance as a partner because I earn less than the average full time income per year.
There are many partner visa sponsors who are not working, and only get Centrelink benefits.

You do not need any specific income, especially not the 'average full time income', to get a partner visa.

If you are both in Australian now, the 820 visa sounds best.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Wrussell <3

Your income and medical status are irrelevant to a partner visa application. If you go to my website: pinoyau.com and use the contact form I shall assess your case, if you wish.
I didn't know that, his Thai agency that is managing his student visa told us previously that it would be hard for me to be accepted as his sponsor for a partner visa because of my income status.
If you could message me your fees for assessment that would be appreciated. The immigration website is a bit tricky with it.
Originally we weren't looking at partner visa because he was going to progress through the skilled migrant program. So I really appreciate this information you have given.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you JandE <3

There are many partner visa sponsors who are not working, and only get Centrelink benefits.

You do not need any specific income, especially not the 'average full time income', to get a partner visa.

If you are both in Australian now, the 820 visa sounds best.
That's really good news, and it's reassuring to see others saying the same thing. We are both in Australia at the moment and my fiance finishes his diploma in November. I appreciate your response, if you have time I have a few more questions;

Is there a cut off date for applications?
Would he have to apply after this visa or can we apply towards the end?

I checked the cost of the partner visa, it's just over $7k. We have less than that in our joint savings account right now, so it would take time to make the application fee.

· Registered
103 Posts
That's really good news, and it's reassuring to see others saying the same thing. We are both in Australia at the moment and my fiance finishes his diploma in November. I appreciate your response, if you have time I have a few more questions;

Is there a cut off date for applications?
Would he have to apply after this visa or can we apply towards the end?

I checked the cost of the partner visa, it's just over $7k. We have less than that in our joint savings account right now, so it would take time to make the application fee.
You can apply for the 820/801 when you like but your fiancee won't receive the BVA rights (full work and medicare etc) until the student visa either ends, or the 820 is granted.
If you are saving for the fee anyway, I assume this means you will submit it closer to your fiancee's study visa end date so not being able to access the BVA until then is probably not a huge deal for you?

· Registered
11 Posts
I lived in thailand for two years permanetly they always happy to take your money if you have it for medical but one thng I would say be very careful to sponser someone to bring your partner to Australia as I got treated well in thailand because of my money situation once here they change after there period of residency is established

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.