Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

For an 820 Visa my two kids - who are not migrating with me - must as I understand undergo a Medical. My question is do they have to see an approved doctor/clinic to get it done or is their regular doctor`s office sufficient? In Norway there are only two (!!!) approved clinics, one of which is close to their current home. They are moving away pretty soon and if only an approved clinic will do I might have to put my skates on quickly..

All help is highly appreciated!

·
Registered
814 Posts
All medicals (including for non-migrating dependents, as far as I know) have to be done by an approved clinic, since they have to do specific checks and tests and then submit results online. This can't be done by doctors who don't have access to the medical check system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough, makes sense. The thing is they will move close to 900km from the nearest approved clinic in a short period of time.. Is there any chance for a waiver on that due to difficulties to get it done, or should I arrange it before they move and submit it with my application in November and hope for the best?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm not an expert but I don't believe they would grant a waiver on those grounds.
I'm pretty sure for offshore Partner visas you have to have lodged your application to get the HAP ID for the medicals, so I don't think it would be possible for them to do the medicals now before you've lodged your application. I could be wrong on that, as I know some people do "front load" their applications when they are onshore, but not sure how that works with the children being offshore, and presumably since you're applying for an 820 you are onshore. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the finer points of your situation will come along.

Something else to consider though - if you're applying for an 820 (onshore), processing times for those seem to be long and getting longer. Medicals expire 12 months after issue, so if your visa is not processed by 12 months from now (unlikely if you are applying in November), then they would just have to redo the medicals at additional expense (and will have to travel anyway). Personally in your situation I would save the money and just wait for the medicals to be requested and then have them do it, since more than likely they would have to repeat the medicals anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not an expert but I don't believe they would grant a waiver on those grounds.
I'm pretty sure for offshore Partner visas you have to have lodged your application to get the HAP ID for the medicals, so I don't think it would be possible for them to do the medicals now before you've lodged your application. I could be wrong on that, as I know some people do "front load" their applications when they are onshore, but not sure how that works with the children being offshore, and presumably since you're applying for an 820 you are onshore. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the finer points of your situation will come along.

Something else to consider though - if you're applying for an 820 (onshore), processing times for those seem to be long and getting longer. Medicals expire 12 months after issue, so if your visa is not processed by 12 months from now (unlikely if you are applying in November), then they would just have to redo the medicals at additional expense (and will have to travel anyway). Personally in your situation I would save the money and just wait for the medicals to be requested and then have them do it, since more than likely they would have to do repeat the medicals anyway.
Those were good points and views, sounds very reasonable. Also considering the sheer time it takes to get the app processed against the validity on Medicals. I think you are right regarding your personal opinion, I better find a a way to get them to the right clinic when it`s due, hopefully my ex will be helpful.. Thank you very much for your qualified and good guesses!

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
If children over 18 years of age are not living at home they are (usually) not taken as being depedent family members.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
But like already mentioned, health exams only last 12 months and the 820 has long wait times. If the exams expire while you are still waiting on a decision, it is possible they will ask to be redone which is a pain and expensive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Started to find out the definition of a dependent child but didn't get it exactly as I should - bureaucracy language is difficult. In my case my ex has full custody and will have the kids in Norway. I do pay child support and have my say in important issues, but I don't participate in day to day activities other than every now and then. Are they by definition dependent..?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.