Australia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to make a separate post on those who were able to make it to Australia or for those who’s flights got canceled during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you have a Visa, like the 309, 100, 300 etc, we’re you able to make it on your flight or did it get canceled. Share your tips and suggestions for those of us who will be or want make that trip soon!
Want to get other peoples perspective!
Hope you’re all doing well and staying safe!

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
I saw one who booked a flight on Sunday 4th July, for a flight on 5th July, from Kenya.
They had no issues, and are now a third of their way through quarantine in Australia.

There will be variances based on which country people are flying from.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw one who booked a flight on Sunday 4th July, for a flight on 5th July, from Kenya.
They had no issues, and are now a third of their way through quarantine in Australia.

There will be variances based on which country people are flying from.
Oh wow! Happy to know that they made it through with no issues. Hopefully we should all be that lucky.
I haven’t seen any from the States. I’ll have my fingers crossed that I’ll be good once I get my flight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is on the 10th of September. Status still shows confirmed but it is bit scary, after selling everything, resigning from job this is the last hurdle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My wife is flying from Japan to Australia via Singapore, with Singapore Airlines.

Initially booked for 27th July, Economy with SIA. Initial cost ~$1400AUD
Was cancelled, rebooked August 7th, Economy with SIA. No additional cost.
Was cancelled, rebooked September 9th (forced to pay for upgrade due to AU 50% capacity cut), Business classs with SIA. Additional ~$2600AUD
Was cancelled, rebooked from alternate departure location in Japan, additional domestic flight booked (JAL), September 9th (took me 3 weeks, 40 phone calls to get this). Additional $450AUD for domestic flight + ship baggage domestically.

We are practically holding our breath, and flinching at every email we receive- praying that it will not be cancelled again. I haven't seen her in 18 months. All in all thus far costing $4450 + further $3000 for hotel quarantine. We are not wealthy, this is essentially 5 times what we were expecting to pay to get her here post-visa approval, and this doesn't even consider shipping her belongings via DHL ($500AUD per box)

My advice if you are having issues and dealing with Singapore Airlines, call the international number for the HQ contact in Singapore. The BPO operating from the Phillipines is absolutely disgustingly run. I was hung up on numerous times by not only junior agents, but supervisors and even the department manager. Terrible customer service and they refuse most of your requests until you call back 20 times.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is on the 10th of September. Status still shows confirmed but it is bit scary, after selling everything, resigning from job this is the last hurdle.
Omg i hope it all turns out for you! Stay positive and it’ll all work out.
Let us know when you’re able to if you made it! Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife is flying from Japan to Australia via Singapore, with Singapore Airlines.

Was cancelled, rebooked September 9th (forced to pay for upgrade due to AU 50% capacity cut), Business classs with SIA. Additional ~$2600AUD
Was cancelled, rebooked from alternate departure location in Japan, additional domestic flight booked (JAL), September 9th (took me 3 weeks, 40 phone calls to get this). Additional $450AUD for domestic flight + ship baggage domestically.

We are practically holding our breath, and flinching at every email we receive- praying that it will not be cancelled again. I haven't seen her in 18 months. All in all thus far costing $4450 + further $3000 for hotel quarantine. We are not wealthy, this is essentially 5 times what we were expecting to pay to get her here post-visa approval, and this doesn't even consider shipping her belongings via DHL ($500AUD per box)

My advice if you are having issues and dealing with Singapore Airlines, call the international number for the HQ contact in Singapore. The BPO operating from the Phillipines is absolutely disgustingly run. I was hung up on numerous times by not only junior agents, but supervisors and even the department manager. Terrible customer service and they refuse most of your requests until you call back 20 times.
Wow, what a nightmare. I hope you’re wife is able to make it thru this time! Fingers crossed! And best of luck to you!!

·
Registered
36 Posts

I am flying end of next month, with Singapore only and reading your post makes me slightly worried. Singapore air, in my previous experience, was always good - not sure why their standards have dipped. Thanks for letting us know where to contact, if need be.
But anyways, I hope your latest booking does not get cancelled and your wife is able to reach Australia safely.
I too, out of desperation, had to book business class (paying 5 times more than a usual flight would have cost). I just hope and pray my (and everyone else who is scheduled to fly) ticket is not cancelled/rescheduled.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Which airline are you flying with zaheer?

I too am in same boat as you. I have sold all my belongings here in Dubai, and resigned from my job as well. Keeping my fingers crossed for the scheduled flight. 🤞

·
Registered
10 Posts
Which airline are you flying with zaheer?

I too am in same boat as you. I have sold all my belongings here in Dubai, and resigned from my job as well. Keeping my fingers crossed for the scheduled flight. 🤞
Qatar Airways .. you?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am flying end of next month, with Singapore only and reading your post makes me slightly worried. Singapore air, in my previous experience, was always good - not sure why their standards have dipped. Thanks for letting us know where to contact, if need be.
But anyways, I hope your latest booking does not get cancelled and your wife is able to reach Australia safely.
I too, out of desperation, had to book business class (paying 5 times more than a usual flight would have cost). I just hope and pray my (and everyone else who is scheduled to fly) ticket is not cancelled/rescheduled.
I wish you all the best on your departure. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you.

Reactions: Aamehz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All, I was looking for a forum about flights. We booked with Qatar in May for flights on 2nd September. They were cancelled on the 23rd of August and we've just been told there are no flights into Australia with Qatar till past November.

We've already given up our flat and quit our jobs (and sent our Cat to Australia!), so our situations pretty dire. I think the only way into Australia now is via a DFAT flight. Luckily we've been able to extend my British partners visa till next year but we're still desperate to enter Australia. Does anyone else have any idea when the next DFAT flights will be released? Has anyone got on a DFAT flight and knows what to expect?

The website says that the Aus Gov halved the number of flights between July 4 and August 31st so i'm curious to see what will happen start of September. But I'm not very hopefully it will be positive.

Please let me know if you've received a DFAT September flight dates list. I changed our circumstances on the DFAT website but now im worried i should have just left it as it was as we were receiving monthly updates from them before i amended it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My husband has booked a flight back to Syd with Singapore airline Business class on 2 Oct. It was just cancelled yesterday. However, due to the high no. of confirmed cases in Syd, it is also good to wait a little longer to see how the city goes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My husband has booked a flight back to Syd with Singapore airline Business class on 2 Oct. It was just cancelled yesterday. However, due to the high no. of confirmed cases in Syd, it is also good to wait a little longer to see how the city goes.
Oh that sucks. I’m sorry to hear that.
I’m getting ready to book my flight for February. I hope they don’t end up canceling a couple months ahead. Did you rebook??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh that sucks. I’m sorry to hear that.
I’m getting ready to book my flight for February. I hope they don’t end up canceling a couple months ahead. Did you rebook??
Not yet, we shall see how the situation goes in Syd before rebook.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to hear that!
Its getting crazy now - I had high faith in Singapore Airlines, but reading all these posts makes me a little worried now. I am scheduled to fly with Singapore on 28th to Melbourne. I just hope that they dont give me a shocker at the last minute.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
The airlines have little control. If an Australian State restricts the numbers that can arrive, the airlines have to cancel flights.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts