Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

We're preparing for our move to Australia next month and are starting to get a few of our ducks in a row before we head over. We've already tackled the change of name issue with all of your help.

The next duck is getting a driver's license in Queensland. The language on the website seems to suggest that I can drive on my current Canadian driver's license, however the confusing part is about my living there and obtaining a Queensland driver's license.

It states that I must live in Queensland for 3 months prior to getting a license. Am I reading that right? I have to live there for three months to be eligible to get a license? Or can we head in there and I can just trade my current Canadian driver's license straight across for a state license?

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
No, you misunderstand. What it basically says is that you can drive on an interstate or international driver's licence in QLD for 3 months, before you MUST apply for a QLD licence. There is nothing stopping you from applying for one straight away.

Reactions: Eh?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, you misunderstand. What it basically says is that you can drive on an interstate or international driver's licence in QLD for 3 months, before you MUST apply for a QLD licence. There is nothing stopping you from applying for one straight away.
Ah, that is perfect! Thanks, Nick!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
before you took up residence in Queensland you were given a resident visa and you have now been residing in Queensland for 3 months.
That's the part I misunderstood. All good now! On to Medicare!

From what I've seen on here, posted and asked numerous times, it appears I just go into an office with my passport and immigration documentation.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Medicare application form, passport and 309 grant letter.

Often, and a thick book.
So I hear! Our plan of action (so far) when we land is to:

- Update immi account with our new address, print off a copy of the submitted form to show our address.

- Apply for my TFN.

- Take said documents (as well as my wife's AFP check, which was mailed to her mom's house), head to the bank, open an account together, use our Canadian marriage certificate so my wife can change her surname.

- Take bank papers showing our address together, my wife's new surname to the department of transport, renew her license, get mine.

- Apply for Medicare.

- Apply for a new passport for my wife showing her new surname.

- Buy a case of beer. Go home. Drink it.

After that in a day, I'll need it!

Reactions: Skybluebrewer

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Take the Acknowledgement of Application Received as well showing you applied for the 309/100 as that 100 part is what makes you eligible for Medicare as a PR applicant.

Keep this link handy as well since the person you go to may not be aware that 309/100 applicants are eligible but it's stated clearly on their website.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
So I hear! Our plan of action (so far) when we land is to:

- Buy a case of beer. Go home. Drink it.

!
That's where i would start and then head for the beach. The rest can come later...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.