Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do we have to disclose this information? I find it personal and I really don't want to bring this up in my husband's application, nor would I want to know any long term relationships he's had. To me the past is exactly.. the past.

Of course declare major relationships like marriage and defacto relationships, but I am talking about relationships like going out for a few months.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Do we have to disclose this information?
I would. If it's something they're requesting, then it's probably a good idea to include it.

I find it personal
It is. I understand, I don't like discussing my ex-wife with my fiancee, but if the Department asks, you should probably disclose it. For what it's worth, both of us only disclosed our previous marriage (me) and her de facto relationship with an ex. Not our entire dating history.

I really don't want to bring this up in my husband's application, nor would I want to know any long term relationships he's had. To me the past is exactly.. the past.
The whole application process is intensely personal. My fiancee and I shared more with the Department than we have with close friends and in some cases family. My suggestion is to include any information that the department requests as sees as relevant.

Reactions: misspharmacist

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
For both the sponsor and the visa applicant, any previous, formal, relationships must be declared. It’s as simple as that. Only the basic facts ( names, dates, any children) and a brief statement need to be provided.

·
Registered
972 Posts
For both the sponsor and the visa applicant, any previous, formal, relationships must be declared. It's as simple as that. Only the basic facts ( names, dates, any children) and a brief statement need to be provided.
For ours, my fiancee put in a brief statement and for mine I just said "Please refer to attachment "name of attachment" uploaded in "Divorce, Evidence Of". In the statement I simply put the date of our separation, the date the divorce was finalized and the date the divorce certificate was issued.

I think that should suffice.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Previous de jure or de facto relationships must be declared.
If they are not and immigration find out (and they have their ways of finding out) you stand to have a visa refusal, or cancellation.
There are several good reasons for immigration wanting particulars, including - Were there any children? Is the current relationship exclusive? What does immigration know about previous partners? Some applicants from some jurisdictions have been known to wait until they were permanent residents leave their sponsor and then sponsor their 'real' partner. The enforced wait to do this has not stopped this practice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You are all right. I am talking about dating.

@wrussell Thank-you for defining what they consider a relationship. I was talking about relationships like a few months/dating. Even if you're going out with a person for a few months, you don't really know them. A few months to me can also be considered long term. I don't want to know who my husband dated, but if the government requires it, it needs to be done.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Due to the above RMAs are not amazed that the minister has foreshadowed legislation under which sponsors must be 'approved' before a partner visa can be lodged or that the minister wants a 10-year ban for providers of false or misleading information about a material particular in the pst 10 years (now 12 months). Some applicants 'forget' they are already married, or have a number of children, or both. It is unlikely to be possible in future to pull these out of the fire by withdrawing an application and lodging a new one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You guys are right.

@wrussell It's good to know that there is a good reason why they (government) pose such a question. I didn't have much time to further discuss this at the time and rereading your response you misunderstood me and it seems like you are making me out like wanting to hide something. Do not put me in the same category as someone who is making up lies to bring in immigrants illegally. It is insulting and defamatory. The question in the form states relationships and it isn't clear what relationships are. I was talking about dating and it can be 6 months and unfortunately not considered a serious relationship.

Let me reiterate myself, if the government recognises dating as relationships then I would disclose it without hesitation. Writing, 'I don't want to know about my husband's past dating' doesn't mean that I am not a law-abiding citizen. Please be careful with what you insinuate as it can be considered slander.

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
It is also good for each partner to know of basics about the ex too. My husband applied at at an embassy where they interviewed about 99% of all applicants. He was asked about my ex partner about how long we were together. Because we had talked about this he was able to answer the question.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What determines if a relationship needs to be declared on the application forms for the visa and the sponsor?

Say from an online dating situation the couple meets, lives as partners for one month then decides not to continue. Is that a declarable relationship?

Obviously, a marriage needs to be declared, but how long if it's a de facto? One month? 6 months? 12 months?

Does a relationship need to be consummated before it's considered formal?

Any guidelines would be appreciated. I don't want to mess up my sponsorship or my partner's visa application.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What determines if a relationship needs to be declared on the application forms for the visa and the sponsor?

Say from an online dating situation the couple meets, lives as partners for one month then decides not to continue. Is that a declarable relationship?

Obviously, a marriage needs to be declared, but how long if it's a de facto? One month? 6 months? 12 months?

Does a relationship need to be consummated before it's considered formal?

Any guidelines would be appreciated. I don't want to mess up my sponsorship or my partner's visa application.
I think it's best to call the embassy that you apply to and ask. We couldn't contact our embassy before applying. They were and still might be overwhelmed with applications. I tried everything emailing, calling and even calling the number they suggested i.e. Egypt but I don't speak Arabic.

You have to declare marriage, divorce and defacto relationships (living with a partner).

We weren't sure about 1, 2, 3-month dating relationships declarations, but my husband and I declared it anyway just to be safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.