Australia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone and Happy New Year -

Unfortunately the pandemic has been very difficult for many relationships and mine has sadly suffered greatly for many reasons (finances, apart from family causing depression, too much stress, opinion differences for the way forward such as where to live, etc).

2 questions:

1) 801 Permanent Residency was granted 10 months ago .... we haven't even separated yet and then there would be a full year from the separation we'd officially/lawfully be divorced. If/when we separate, do we still need to report to Immigration the separation? Per some posts over the year it seems we do not need to tell Immi, but just verifying. We don't need to tell anyone Immi account-wise? I remember if we separated during bridging visa or after 820 temporary a separation would matter, but here 10 months after Permanent Residency I wouldn't think we need to report the separation? As she had to fill out a sponsorship application at 820 time in 2017, we weren't sure if one of us needs to tell Immi as part of any Immi policy changes. If we do need to report the separation - do we do it in the Immi account? Will the 801 PR be rescinded (there's no criminal issues, no debt, and a very amicable separation would happened)

2) For Citizenship which I should be able to apply for this year ~ I know my PR grant date, but the "Lawful Residence Date" I'm confused about. I first entered Australia on a tourist e-visa in 2014, then in 2015 I re-entered on a Working Holiday Visa. Then in 2016 re-entered on a tourist e-visa, then in 2017 we applied for the 820 Partner Visa which became a Bridging. 2018 the 820 was granted, then in early 2020 the PR was granted. Is my "Lawful Residence Date" the tourist e-visa in 2014, the working holiday visa in 2015 when I first made income here, or is it actually the day I applied for the 820 partner visa in 2017? Getting this date right is very important for the calculator.

3) As I'd be divorcing as a 801 PR holder but before Citizenship, will my Citizenship application be judged negatively? Likely at the time of citizenship application I'd still be married but by the time citizenship application was judged, I would be divorced. It would be an amicable divorce, no criminal history, held good jobs in Australia, been a part of communication organisations to "give back," I do love Australia very much, etc. I know there are 2 ways to apply for a citizenship - through a spouse or on your own. I assume although I got PR through my spouse, I'd be able to apply for citizenship "on my own" with no reference to what would be my ex-wife?

Please give me some advice and your insight. Thank you so much.

Best wishes to you in 2021

·
Registered
887 Posts
In terms of the separation there is no issue now that the 801 has been granted. Your lawful residence date is the first date you arrived in Australia.

Reactions: FreddoBee

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In terms of the separation there is no issue now that the 801 has been granted. Your lawful residence date is the first date you arrived in Australia.
Thanks, Paul. Does it need to be 4 consecutive years of visas valid? Or can there be gaps? For lawful residence. I'm confused if I include Tourist Visas or even the WHV, given there were gaps with no visa when I wasn't in Australia back in 2014/2015/2016

2014 e-tourist visa valid, then there was a several month gap of having a visa in a time where I wasn't even in Australia

2015 working holiday visa into 2016, then a 2 month gap where I left Australia and had no visa

2016 came back into Australia on 1 year e-visa tourist, but left every 3 months. The visa was valid for a year, but left 3 months.

Lodged 820 partner visa at the end of the 4th quarter of the e-visa tourist and went onto a bridging visa with no gap. Then then 820 grant, then later the 801 grant

1 - 3 of 3 Posts