Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

First of all - Thanks to people for their invaluable contribution to this forum for making life easier for some other random people like us!

My situation:

I’m an Australian citizen and I have my marriage planned on 21st Sep 2014.
The girl whom I am going to marry is currently on student visa and have few months to go before her primary visa expires.
Unfortunately, she was in a previous marriage and got divorced in March 2014.
Now – I recognise her divorce may have been a significant event which she should have notified to immigration by filling out form 1022 – change of circumstances form.

We could not do this as she was going through so much mental strain and obviously we had other things going on our minds most of the time. Now things are getting settle down a bit, and I’m wondering whether she should send her form to immigration immediately and tell them about her broken marriage (before she gets re-married to me) OR should she wait until she gets re-married to me and log the form 1022 afterwards and disclose the broken marriage and re-marriage together in a single form.

My view has always been that logging form was not that important and it can be done at a later date as she is the primary student visa holder and her previous shouse has left the country since their divorce.
Things that we are very worried about:

 Logging form at a later date will cause any problem to her current student visa or future spouse visa after our marriage?
 Should she log her disclosure form with DIAC now (before re-marry to me)? OR
 She should log her disclosure form after her marriage with me (21st Sep)?

Please advise us on our situation as soon as possible and we still have few days left to go into our marriage!
Thanks in advance!

Look forward to seeing your thoughtful responses.

Regards,
Guru

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
I'd suggest she lodge the form now to show the break in her previous relationship, which then would make it more logical when trying to give evidence of a new relationship with you (since you can't be in 2 relationships at the same time from a visa perspective).

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
maggie-may24 said:
I'd suggest she lodge the form now to show the break in her previous relationship, which then would make it more logical when trying to give evidence of a new relationship with you (since you can't be in 2 relationships at the same time from a visa perspective).
I agree with Maggie-May . The sooner the better. It will not affect her visa status. Just send in a completed Form 1022. The department will just change her marital status from Married to Divorced.

Regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.