Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Totally new here but I have spent a while reading the old threads and seems like a really helpful community you have going, I am really keen to get some advice.

I am from the UK, and my Aussie partner and I have been together since August this year, heres the facts:

- We moved in together in September.

- My WHV Expires in April 2018

- We are planning on applying for a civil partnership next week.

- I am applying to go on the lease

- We have opened a joint bank account

My questions, or anxiety lies in the duration of evidence we will have at the time of application, (I hope to submit by February) and the pitfalls that I could come across by doing a DIY application. By then, we will have 4 months of solid evidence (lease, bank statements, civil partnership cert) and prior to this we have bank transfers for rent, receipts for household items, facebook, and stat decs....

Or do I just suck it up and pay the $3000 for an agent to help? I dont know if I have lost confidence in myself to do this, after reading loads of horror stories on migration agents websites. My partner is keen for us to go solo, I just want to understand the risks better as I really dont want to mess this up...

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer :)

Rose

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hi there! You're in the right place for help or advice, that much I can tell you! Often times the best (and safest) approach is to pay for a consult from an RMA. There are a few very good and qualified individuals around these forums who I'm sure would be happy to help you out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Like Eh? suggests, I would recommend an initial consultation with an RMA. An initial consultation won't cost $3000, and should give you an idea of how best to proceed. You haven't been together very long, and $7000 is a lot of money to throw away if you don't have enough evidence. Consulting with an RMA would be a good investment.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Definitely recommend an RMA. If your relationship was longer and you had solid evidence of it, we would probably say do it yourself. But when someone will only have a handful of months together before applying, we'd rather recommend you to an RMA - who can tell you if you have a chance at being successful after reviewing your evidence - than help you throw away $7000. I don't think any of us forum volunteers want that guilt over us.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you have the money then yes use an agent. If not and your evidence is good then do it yourself. I know people who were in your situation of less than 12 months who have been granted the temporary partner visa. As long as you are genuine and give them enough evidence under the four parts you are probably ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, money is an issue at the moment. I think I will put my own application together but have it reviewed by an RMA before submitting. Hopefully this way we will get the best possible chance.

We will have lots of stat decs, official documents, and evidence that I have paid rent from September this year. As my WHV doesnt expire until April, I may wait a little longer and put the application in right before my current visa is sue to expire rather than February, this means we would have nearly 6 months of me being on the lease and 6 months into a civil partnership...

Are there such things as application review services? If so does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Rose

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
As my WHV doesnt expire until April, I may wait a little longer and put the application in right before my current visa is sue to expire rather than February
The only problem with this is that possibly from next year on the sponsorship may have to be approved first, before the visa application can be lodged. If your temporary visa runs out, before the sponsorship is approved, you'd be in big strife. We don't know when this will be implemented or if it will be implemented at all, but it's best to be prepared for all eventualities.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only problem with this is that possibly from next year on the sponsorship may have to be approved first, before the visa application can be lodged. If your temporary visa runs out, before the sponsorship is approved, you'd be in big strife. We don't know when this will be implemented or if it will be implemented at all, but it's best to be prepared for all eventualities.
Thanks CCMS - are you suggesting using an agent in this case? I am finding this whole process very stressful and confusing, my partner and I are just want to stay together and continue to build our lives together, we are determined to make this work.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Thanks CCMS - are you suggesting using an agent in this case? I am finding this whole process very stressful and confusing, my partner and I are just want to stay together and continue to build our lives together, we are determined to make this work.
I always recommend using an agent exactly because of all the stress and confusion . It is much better to get an outsider to deal with it, because of the emotion involved.

As a Registered Migration Agent, I'm obviously biased, but to put it in perspective; I'm perfectly capable of lodging my own tax return, but prefer to use an accountant. It gives me peace of mind, it saves me time and money and I can be confident that everything has been done by the book. It also save me from having to deal with the ATO myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Roses1,

I'm on similar situation. Started relationship on 20/11/2016, moved in together on 05/04/2017, registered De Facto on 19/09/2017 and applied for my visa on 23/10/2017. We only decided to apply for the visa in September so since then we've been collecting as many proof as we can: including my name in the utilities bills, photos with this family and other friends in social activities, included each other as second driver in the car's policy, registered in some RSL clubs together, opened 2 bank accounts, one for savings one for bills, etc.
We also wrote several Statutory declarations and got as many as we could from friends and his family to make it count.
I'm still working on it, we are making wills and putting each other as our beneficiary in the super, etc.
If the relationship is genuine is not hard to produce proof.

I believe that you should apply closer to end of the year (before any possible changes) and just strat collecting and producing more proof. Keeping mails address to you, doing screenshot of facebook, etc.

good luck to us!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.