Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to bring my spouse/wife to Australia. Does the department have reduced visa fees for those receiving Newstart or Parenting Payment?? Or will I have to pay the same as all applicants?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Savage_Flame, appreciate your info, not what I had hoped, but best to know. Thanks

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
No discount for Newstart or other Welfare benefit recipients, but even worse, your benefit reduces to the individual partner rate.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ouch!!! That hurts
If you haven't completed the form Mod P then you probably should if your wife is not receiving a benefit in Australia:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/forms/mod-p

If you haven't already advised Centrelink that you are married be aware that they will probably find out from an enquiry by Immigration if you want to bring your wife to Australia and it's better that you tell them than that they find out from Immigration.

Depending on your income and assets and that of your wife, it's possible that Centrelink can use discretion and treat you as a single person rather than pay you as one of a couple if your wife is not contributing to the income pool or if you will face financial hardship should your benefit is reduced.

2.2.5.50 Discretion to Treat a Person as Not Being a Member of a Couple for a Special Reason | Guide to Social Security Law

See what suits your situation and follow up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Freddo-Bee
Were not married yet and plan for her to stay and work in Vietnam until late March next year.
I expect it will take her a while to find a job, but hopefully not too long. As I have shared custody of my 2 young sons - should be 50/50, but in reality they are with me about 65% of the time - so a bit of help for a while would be great.
Our assets aren't much.
I have a question about seeking work while on a tourist visa, but maybe thats best in a new thread
Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
It is best not to mention “ tourist visa” and “ work” in the same sentence. Checking of mobile devices on arrival is becoming routine. Be wary of what you put in email correspondence and on social media posts and messenging. Being turned around at the airport may have all sort of unpleasant consequences.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi CCMS,
Thanks for that, however, there is absolutely no intention to work, perhaps just speak to potential employers to find what qualifications etc they seek.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I know. The Inmigration people might be less understanding.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks Freddo-Bee
Were not married yet and plan for her to stay and work in Vietnam until late March next year.
I expect it will take her a while to find a job, but hopefully not too long. As I have shared custody of my 2 young sons - should be 50/50, but in reality they are with me about 65% of the time - so a bit of help for a while would be great.
Our assets aren't much.
I have a question about seeking work while on a tourist visa, but maybe thats best in a new thread
Cheers
The Mod P applies to a partner, e.g. de facto as well as married. It really depends on how you see your relationship with her and how she intends to come to Australia.

As far as I know, you definitely can't seek work while on a tourist visa. There may be other ways for her to work, but contact an agent for the best answers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.