Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just wanted to get your opinion to see if I qualify for an Independent Skilled PR. So here's my profile:

- Graduate in Bachelor of Commerce from Deakin University, Australia (2006 to 2009)
- Have almost two years work experience as a Management Accountant
- I turned 24 in October 2012, so I claim points as a 24yr old or 25yr old?
- I have a Masters in Finance from Vlerick Business School, Belgium as well.
- Last time I gave Ielts I had 7.5 band. I am hoping to improve on this time and get an 8 band.

My question to everyone here,
- Can I still claim points for my Australian education?
- Also do traffic violations count as a criminal record?
- And lastly, when I left Australia in 2009 I had a mobile contract outstanding which I didn't settle. Will this go against me?

Any help highly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,759 Posts
Hi -

As to your questions -

1. Yes, you can claim your Australian education
2. Minor traffic violations (parking tickets, minor speeding tickets, etc) generally do not have to be disclosed and do not count as a criminal record
3. DIAC does not check a person's credit file, so that should not be an issue unless it ended up going to court in your absence (unlikely)

Re: points test, your occupation Management Accountant is on the SOL list, so that's good. You'll get 25 points for application at age 24, plus 15 points for your Bachelor and 10 points for IELTS 7+ on all bands, leaving you 50 points. You need at least 3 years of work post-graduation in a closely related field to get points for work outside Australia, so IELTS 8+ on all bands would get you to 60 points, the minimum to lodge an Expression of Interest and be considered for a subclass 189 independent skilled visa. However, you'll still need a skills assessment completed before you lodge the EOI, and you need to look carefully at the skills assessment authority's requirements, forms, etc.

Hope this helps - good luck with your case!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand how you got to 50 points but I think you forgot to add 5 points for my Australian education which makes it 55. And if I can get 8+ in Ielts then I will have 65 points. That will qualify me for the Independent PR visa, right?

If I can't get an 8 band in Ielts, I guess then my best bet will be to wait till I turn 25 and by then I will also have gathered sufficient work exp. Am I thinking right?

·
Premium Member
9,759 Posts
Hi -

Yes, correct - you would get 5 points for the Australia Study Requirement. The current pass mark for the skilled independent migration points test is 60 points, but this only allows you to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) which is basically an online resume. You cannot directly apply for a visa of this type any more - you have to lodge your EOI and await an invitation to apply for a visa which are given based on your points test score. For the subclass 189 independent skilled visa, invitations are issued periodically by the federal government based on needs for each occupation, and they will take the specified number of people based on the top points test scores at the time of invitation. What this means is that if you have 65 or 70 points you have a better chance of being invited sooner, compared to having only the minimum points to qualify (60). People are invited based on their points test score regardless of when they lodged their EOI, so lower points test people keep getting pushed down the list if people with higher points test scores lodge EOIs.

I hope this helps - please note that it's impossible for me to determine whether you will qualify based on quick info on a forum - there are several other areas that we haven't discussed here, and the skills assessment authority will have its own set of requirements that must be met.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I was under the impression that if you have 65 points then you can directly apply for PR. I was unaware of the EOI rule. Now it is clear to me.

I calculated my points and have 65 points subject to getting an 8 in Ielts this month. Would you say that I should apply for a state sponsored visa or independent? I can claim extra 5 points if I go for state sponsored I believe which will take my total points to 70.

I really appreciate you advice. Thanks once again.

·
Premium Member
9,759 Posts
Hi -

The minimum to lodge an EOI now (for a skilled visa) is 60 points, so 65 puts you above the minimum, which is good.

I'd go for state sponsored if you can (if your occupation is on the CSOL list for state sponsored, and the state you want to live in is currently sponsoring for that occupation and you meet any additional requirements added by that state) as you'll get an invitation straight away once you get the sponsorship. The independent route saves you from having to get state sponsorship, however even if your occupation is on the list, there's no guarantee of if or when you'll get an invitation.

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I was under the impression that if you have 65 points then you can directly apply for PR. I was unaware of the EOI rule. Now it is clear to me.

I calculated my points and have 65 points subject to getting an 8 in Ielts this month. Would you say that I should apply for a state sponsored visa or independent? I can claim extra 5 points if I go for state sponsored I believe which will take my total points to 70.

I really appreciate you advice. Thanks once again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.