Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
Initially I applied for 3 years course (which gave me 3 years visa) but after coming here in Australia I was told by my friends that I was eligible to apply for credit for which I had to study just 1 year which was successful and I was also granted COE of 1 year. I notified the DIBP as well but there was no change with the duration of my student visa.
My CoE was up until Sept 9, 2017 and I am still waiting on only one assignment to be marked after which my course will be finished. But my visa lasts till March 15, 2019. I have been in relationship with an Australian citizen more than a year and we got married on Sept 4, 2017 legally and intend to apply for a partner visa. I was also planning on visiting my parents in March 2018 for a month with my husband.
So, I called the student visa office, to ask if I have to apply for any Bridging visa once I complete my partner visa (temp and permanent) application of if I could still use my student visa. A lady told me over the phone told me that I have to take another course to study until my visa expires otherwise the partner visa application will cause my student visa to cancel and the cancellation will effect my partner visa application. I am so frustrated that doing so would not only stretch the time but can also cause us financial crisis. I have limited working hours and my husband also earns less due to his entrepreneurship. We have to pay utilities bills and mortgage.
I was planning to do postgrad course once partner visa was grant. Do I still need to further my study as an international student as this can cause us crisis as we are paying off mortgage and bills. Please advise!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I don't know about student visas and what you need to do to keep it but...

- Never take immigration/visa advice from your school. Contact a registered migration agent (many forum users have used and highly recommend the few RMAs that post on here frequently).

- Even if you apply for a partner visa, you must wait until the student visa expires before the BVA kicks in. Therefore, you need to do whatever you need to do to maintain your student visa. If the student visa gets cancelled, so does your BVA.

The BVA is granted as soon as you apply for a partner visa, but it is not in effect until your current student visa expires. So even though you have a bridging visa, it doesn't mean you are on it.

Best bet? Contact an RMA, pay a little for professional advice and save yourself a lot of money in the long run by avoiding mistakes that can make a partner visa incredibly difficult to obtain (and if your BVA gets cancelled, you'll be forking out for an RMA anyway to try and save your partner visa app).

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Some student visas do not have work restrictions.
From what you have posted, it is not possible to offer a considered professional opinion about whether a enrolment in such a course, or any other enrolment would solve your problem. It would certainly be catastrophic to have your student visa cancelled. Do NOT apply for a partner visa until you resolve the issue or you will almost certainly be refused a visa and forfeit your visa application charge.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You really need to consult with a good RMA.

None of your options are good/cheap so you need to fully understand what you have to play with.

*Study until partner visa is approved, and possible course termination costs to be paid.

* Go offshore apply partner visa for a possible faster process time, then return as above.

* Apply onshore Partner Visa then cancel Student Visa and apply BVE and deal with all those issues of that visa like no travel until Partner Visa is approved. BVE also has no work but you can apply for work rights.

These are the best options that I can see off the top of my head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.