Australia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is partly motivated by the anxiety and stress I'm feeling as my wife and I wait for our 820, but also by an interest in the discussion! So, folks who've gone through the process of getting any kind of visa, are going through the process, migration agents, do you think that the way visas are assessed is fair? Do you think that the case for each visa, no matter the kind, is assessed with genuine willingness to be convinced of it's merit? This is the government we're talking about, the soulless embodiment of a checklist, where minor mistakes cannot be interpreted and are grounds for rejection of whatever application you're submitting; but in the case of visas it's also made of humans who are reading and examining things, and who hopefully want the best for people who are trying their best.

That being said, I read a while ago that the rejection rate for partner visas is close to 50%, yet I doubt that half of all visa applicants are illegitimate, which means that somewhere in there, genuine people with real relationships are being denied. What do you think causes this? People who submit their applications with no more than a few photos and a lease? People who just don't meet the criteria, i.e. people who have no evidence they've ever lived together or shared assets, and can't explain why? Or is the system just unfair, and people who submit leases and bank statements and photos and Form 888's and explanations are denied because they made a small error, or some minor details don't line up?

What do you think?

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is partly motivated by the anxiety and stress I'm feeling as my wife and I wait for our 820, but also by an interest in the discussion! So, folks who've gone through the process of getting any kind of visa, are going through the process, migration agents, do you think that the way visas are assessed is fair? Do you think that the case for each visa, no matter the kind, is assessed with genuine willingness to be convinced of it's merit? This is the government we're talking about, the soulless embodiment of a checklist, where minor mistakes cannot be interpreted and are grounds for rejection of whatever application you're submitting; but in the case of visas it's also made of humans who are reading and examining things, and who hopefully want the best for people who are trying their best.

That being said, I read a while ago that the rejection rate for partner visas is close to 50%, yet I doubt that half of all visa applicants are illegitimate, which means that somewhere in there, genuine people with real relationships are being denied. What do you think causes this? People who submit their applications with no more than a few photos and a lease? People who just don't meet the criteria, i.e. people who have no evidence they've ever lived together or shared assets, and can't explain why? Or is the system just unfair, and people who submit leases and bank statements and photos and Form 888's and explanations are denied because they made a small error, or some minor details don't line up?

What do you think?
Hi when did you submit your application? I submitted mine on November 19th, 2019 got approved Jan 4th, 2022. Maybe the yellow flag, press everything uploaded once you've submitted all requests they asked for.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I read a while ago that the rejection rate for partner visas is close to 50%, yet I doubt that half of all visa applicants are illegitimate, which means that somewhere in there, genuine people with real relationships are being denied. What do you think causes this?
The more recent rejection rate is nearer 10%, not 50%.

I've also seen these figures of Partner visa rejection rates:
  • 53.8% in 2015-16 and 47% in 2016-17.
But 2017-18 was much lower, with 5.49% of Partner and PMV applications being refused, when submitted by a migration agent, but only 3.39% were refused when submitted by an individual, without a migration agent. (Migration agents often handle the more complex cases.)

More recent rates are nearer 10%.

In 2018-19, the refusal rate for the Subclass 820 visa was 7.19%

In 2019-20, the refusal rate was 4.84%

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi when did you submit your application? I submitted mine on November 19th, 2019 got approved Jan 4th, 2022. Maybe the yellow flag, press everything uploaded once you've submitted all requests they asked for.
Congratulations! What an awesome new years gift. We submitted ours at around the same time, but I expect ours will be a bit behind yours; our inital submission had way too little evidence attached, and it wasn't until some time last year that we got a request for more info and got a decent amount of evidence together. I'm not sure what yellow flag you're talking about though?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'Fair' is not defined in the legislation. To those refused visas add those who simply gave up part way.
Oh yeah, I understand that. I was more just curious if people felt like the process was actually fair, and generally had peoples best interests at heart! That's a good point though, those numbers are most likely not really all that representative of how many actually get rejected for real reasons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The more recent rejection rate is nearer 10%, not 50%.

I've also seen these figures of Partner visa rejection rates:
  • 53.8% in 2015-16 and 47% in 2016-17.
But 2017-18 was much lower, with 5.49% of Partner and PMV applications being refused, when submitted by a migration agent, but only 3.39% were refused when submitted by an individual, without a migration agent. (Migration agents often handle the more complex cases.)

More recent rates are nearer 10%.

In 2018-19, the refusal rate for the Subclass 820 visa was 7.19%

In 2019-20, the refusal rate was 4.84%

Huh, that's fascinating. I wonder why it was so high in 2016-2017? Regardless, it certainly makes a strong argument that the process is indeed fair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congratulations! What an awesome new years gift. We submitted ours at around the same time, but I expect ours will be a bit behind yours; our inital submission had way too little evidence attached, and it wasn't until some time last year that we got a request for more info and got a decent amount of evidence together. I'm not sure what yellow flag you're talking about though?
Thank you. I guess our's was abit quicker coz we have a child but we'd always take photos and randomly upload it on immi just so they know lol. Hang in there, anytime soon. Hoping your patner visa comes through soon .

·
Registered
6 Posts
What do you think?
It's frustrating, ours took 19 months from memory for 820 grant and we had 98 separate documents of evidence (according to our agent we had more than quadruple most applicants). We also had no joint assets (I owned my own home, car etc before she moved here and adding her name to the deed was stupidly expensive).
It's very stressful, especially when you've done everything right, but hang in there. The dept is actually competent at their job, even if they seem slow. We watched some granted in months while we were waiting which made my partner anxious (I work in gov so I know things move at a different pace and don't take it personally there).

Hang in there, and whenever they ask for more info just send it in (also one thing we did was update our file as we waited, photos of events, trips, tickets etc which was kinda hard during the lockdowns).

·
Registered
10 Posts
True! I've read on here about couples who went through migration agents still waiting for there results after 24 months. And quoting " Migration agents handle more complex cases", i was unlawful from 2010 -2020, we didn't think i was going to get 820 at all coz we did it ourselves but got it in less than 14 months.

They really be slowing down applications made through migration agents.

·
Registered
32 Posts

What do you think?
I would imagine most of the refusals are from lack of evidence/completed requirements, not small little mistakes. Also, those who gave up or their relationships had dissolved during the visa process.

In my experience, we gave as much evidence as we could and didn't have any issues/pushback with anything, only the generic requests for updated police checks, medicals, etc.

I think the main thing that struck me as unfair was the allocation process of reviewing visas - It ended up taking 2.5 years for my 820/801 to be approved, and yet I was seeing heaps of people on here applying a year later than I did and getting approved much quicker. It seemed dependant on when you applied and then your visa was allocated to a specific branch - yet newer applications were being processed faster at other branches. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, there is an official Government website with all of the FOI that are released regarding refusal rates, withdrawals and grants for every type of visa. Just Google foia Australian immigration...Process is long, I will give you that, but I think its pretty fair. Considering the workload and a sheer number of requests, and taking into account that all sorts of checks have to be completed... people try to cheat the system, hide or adjust information as to get the visa. Plus, there are some other cultural differences like verbal marriage, online ceremonies...etc, which are not recognized in the AU law system. Many factors contribute.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fair, but often frustrating, taking too long in as much as it affects your health and police certificates that you have to renew because they expired etc etc.

You feel like you have done everything, then you get the horrid "Request for further information" ... for information you have already given, twice in a couple of examples. .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.