Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm preparing to apply either under 885 or 886 in the near future and there's a couple questions that came up while trying to make a decision. I'll be applying as a Mechanical Engineer so I presume I would get priority 2 under 886 and priority 3 under 885.

In that respect my questions are:
1) Would the new cap & cease practice apply in this case? If it does, does it mean that it's more advantageous to apply earlier on in the financial year? Is 886 then more attractive due to a lower risk of the application being capped?

2) I know no one would really knows for sure, but is there an indication of much longer could 885 take since it's 1 priority level lower?

3) With Australian Community Languages, I may qualify for 5 points if I were NATI-certified for one of the languages. Does one qualify for the points if the person is certified as a translator either from English to the language or back or does it have to be both? The department does not seem to specify.

"be accredited with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) at the professional level (translator/interpreter level)"

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm preparing to apply either under 885 or 886 in the near future and there's a couple questions that came up while trying to make a decision. I'll be applying as a Mechanical Engineer so I presume I would get priority 2 under 886 and priority 3 under 885.

In that respect my questions are:
1) Would the new cap & cease practice apply in this case? If it does, does it mean that it's more advantageous to apply earlier on in the financial year? Is 886 then more attractive due to a lower risk of the application being capped?

2) I know no one would really knows for sure, but is there an indication of much longer could 885 take since it's 1 priority level lower?

3) With Australian Community Languages, I may qualify for 5 points if I were NATI-certified for one of the languages. Does one qualify for the points if the person is certified as a translator either from English to the language or back or does it have to be both? The department does not seem to specify.

"be accredited with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) at the professional level (translator/interpreter level)"

Thanks, everyone!
The Minister will apply the cap & cease as applicable and nobody but he and the top Immi department people will know until such action is taken but generally speaking, I suspect the legislation was introduced for the thousands of international students doing courses and applying for PR in occupations for which there is only so much demand, that being somewhat different to people qualifying in more skilled areas.

What you presume is as the priorities are outlined.
1. The earlier in a financial year can have some impact if numbers of applications taken by later in the year are greater than the yearly allowance for then some stalling can occur until the next financial year commences.
2. Yep, no one really knows, a bit like the bear and how much of the car is edible - Hungry black bear crashes in runaway car.
3. Though Immi may use translators/interpreters they would no more claim in assessment exercises to be experts any more than they would for engineers and hence why NAATI is the chosen body just like IEA.
Do follow the NAATI link to see what is involved in being accredited to claim community language points.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.