Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!!

Please can I have some advice, I just don’t know where to start! ����

Me, my husband and 3 young sons have just had a amazing 3 week holiday in Perth and really want to apply for a working visa (to get the full taste of living in Australia before selling up in the UK) but it is such a massive decision also with 3 young children.

I just want some advice on what visa to apply for, do we need to get sponsor’s before we get out there and should we apply for school places before we get out there?

I’m 32yrs old and have a nvq level 2 in hairdressing and my partner is 47 yrs old and is a registered gas engineer.

All advice wanted and needed thank you!!! ��������

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
If either of you could qualify for a skilled working type visa (they need to be on the list/s) it is my opinion that work would be hard to obtain due to your "trail" period.

Hairdressing is generally fine for short term but gas engineer will require some form of conversion and company training, they often want a long term commitment.

I don't know much about work visas but I do know that age for your husband could be an issue.

I know that 457 visas require employers to sometimes very costly training conditions put on them.

A consultation with a Registered Migration Agent (There is a sticky of recommended ones on this forum). But I don't think your chances are good, sorry.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi all!!

Please can I have some advice, I just don't know where to start! ����

Me, my husband and 3 young sons have just had a amazing 3 week holiday in Perth and really want to apply for a working visa (to get the full taste of living in Australia before selling up in the UK) but it is such a massive decision also with 3 young children.

I just want some advice on what visa to apply for, do we need to get sponsor's before we get out there and should we apply for school places before we get out there?

I'm 32yrs old and have a nvq level 2 in hairdressing and my partner is 47 yrs old and is a registered gas engineer.

All advice wanted and needed thank you!!! ��������
There are limited, employer sponsored, options for hairdressers, provided you can obtain a positive skills assessment through VETASSESS. it would require the equivalent of an Australian CERT IV:

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

Not sure what a "gas engineer" is exactly, but "petroleum engineer" is an eligible occupation for certain employer sponsored visas. Again, the first step is to have a look at a possible skills assessment:

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
They work on gas (like LPG) appliances including pipe work - bit like a plumber.
Gas fitter is an eligible occupation for all skilled and employer sponsored visas.

Description: Installs, maintains and repairs gas mains, piping systems downstream of the billing meter, and appliances and ancillary equipment associated with the use of fuel gases, including liquefied petroleum gas systems. Registration or licensing is required.

Skill Level 3 : Occupations at Skill Level 3 have a level of skill commensurate with one of the following:
- AQF Certificate IV or
- AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training.

TRA does the skills assessments.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If the kids are school age, you also need to factor in paying for their education in govt schools here. (Ditto arrangement for Australians settling in the UK with school-age kids going to govt schools over there.)

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Keep in mind that if you're interested in permanent residency, you would need to be the primary applicant as your husband is already past the age limit of 45. A temporary employer sponsored visa has no age limit so either of you could be the primary applicant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.