Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Firstly, this is my first post here so thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond.

I am an Australian citizen by birth. I moved to UK in 2010, met m husband and have been jumping through the UK visa hoops since.

I am due to apply for indefinite leave to remain shortly and am able to apply for British citizenship a year later, my question, despite seeming obvious, is that if I apply for British passport I am still able to keep my Australian citizenship/passport. I have googled a great deal and from what I can see this is fine, but I want to make sure before I go down that road.

We are not ready to leave UK yet, but do not plan to stay here forever. I want to ensure I can come to Australia when needed despite being a British Citizen as well. My husband has grown up UK children so we also don't want to close the door on UK for good, just in case.

My husband is a UK born citizen. If we decided to move to Aus, what requirements would he need to be able to come with me?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, you can have dual nationality without any issues. My wife has the same having gone in the other direction. Neither Australia nor the UK have any problems with dual nationality (unless you want to become a parlementarian in Australia!!)

If your husband wants to move to Australia, he will have to apply for the partner migration visa, either applying onshore or more likely offshore. From the sound of it you won't have too much trouble qualifying as per current rules, but it takes time (~12 months currently if applying in the UK) and $$. He then has to live in Australia for ~4 years to qualify for a passport.

The partner migration visa terms are subject to change though, so current rules may not apply in a few years' time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.