Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Summary of my situation is I've known my Romanian friend since 2006.

- applied for tourist visa in 2007 (denied - reason immigration gave was didn't appear to be coming to Australia for genuine tourist purposes)
- I went to Romania in 2008 and we met for a few days, all good.
- 2009/2010 things cooled off, we kept in touch but both got on with our respective lives.
- 2011 we got back in regular touch, talking on Skype, friendship entered the gray zone & we both indicated interest in seeing each other again.
- 2012 - applied for e-visitor (now Ro part of EU & that visa program) - immigration rejected (after asking for further information from us) again stating they were not satisfied it was a genuine tourist purposes for visit.

Both applications I provided a letter of invitation along with evidence to show I could provide support/place to stay. However, neither times did I provide a stat dec. She is a fashion model, although in 2009/10 was working full time in PR, but has since lost that job & is working in modelling and as a photographer.

She has travelled (for work) and for pleasure extensively in Europe, to England, Ireland and to Thailand, and recently to Japan.

In the meantime we have taken a holiday together in Malaysia (last year) and will again spend time together in September in Singapore.

I'd really like for her to visit Australia for a few weeks but am having a hard time convincing her to apply again unless we are certain to get the e-visitor granted, as she took the rejection very badly.

To clarify, we are very close friends, but I wouldn't deem us as officially in a relationship (which complicates things as on the face of it, probably appears that we are in one) and at this stage we have no plans for her to move to Australia, let alone get married. If anything, my plan is to move to London to get some contract work for a year and see how things go between us.

So, I'm really looking for some advice as to what we need to do to maximise her chances of getting the e-visitor approved. According to DIAC, any new application is considered on it's merit so long as the reasons for rejection of the previous are addressed. In this case, proving she is indeed coming for genuine tourist purposes.

She is 30 and I am 41.

Any help or advice is appreciated. To be honest, I'd rather we go through a migration agent, however my friend is very hard to convince with regard to that idea.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
What did she supply with the application for herself? ie. bank statement with funds, HR letter saying she has a job to come back to? Even though you provide a letter of invitation and evidence to support her etc the onus is still on her to show that she can support herself while in oz and will be a genuine tourist (no idea why they need to show they can support themselves while in oz in someone else will provide financial support but that is what I was told).

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thats rough, its so hard to get a tourist visa these days even for genuine tourists.

Apply again but this time don't go for the eVisitor - go for a paper Sub Class 600 Visitor Visa. Load it with any thing and everything you can and go from there. Some suggestions for her to include:

- Current lease agreement/mortgage showing she has a responsibility to return to
- As Mish said, a work contract or something showing she has ongoing work. My husband is self employed so I included his 2012/2013 Tax Return showing he is self employed.
- Does she own property or anything? Include any asset information if she has it.
- Bank account showing plenty of money. They say £1000 is a basic benchmark but people have been rejected for having only this so i'd make sure she has enough for a return flight and enough for accomodation, food and transport for the time she's here.
- Stat dec from her outlining exactly what she plans to do here. Set out a rough itinerary and include plenty of tourist activities.
- Your letter of invitiation can be in the form of email conversations or anything, but I did a formal stat dec with my husbands application stating again from me what we had planned for his visit.

I should preface this by saying we don;t know the outcome of my husbands tourist visa so I can't say whether the evidence we supplied that I have used as an example here is correct - but he does have a criminal record so his application is complicated anyway.

I know RO is now part of the EU but sadly it still has a bad repuatation and if you're applying to London for example they may view it as "High Risk" even though its not listed as such (not sure if they are allowed to do that or if thats true...). Either way I think the point is to make sure the focus is on her to take ownership of her visit with only you contributing your letter of invitation. If you start to contribute more than that and if the focus is on her coming to visit YOU with potential romance they will continue to be worried she is ingenuine. People in this situation are generally more successful when they apply for their partner visa first but as you say this isn't something your ready for at the moment so keep your budding romance to yourself.

The fact she's been rejected a couple of times doesn't fare well for her i'm afraid but you never know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. It helps and confirms what I suspected, in that in neither application did we (or rather she) include enough to show that she had a reason to go back to Romania (ie she doesn't own a car nor property) and we definitely didn't include an itinerary of what she planned to visit or do here, actually we just said that last years application was to come and visit me and stay for my birthday celebrations.

I've had a friend suggest that she applies on her own merit, rather than mention anything about me or staying with me, but I'd rather be upfront and say that she knows me. By the sounds of it we'd probably get a partner visa easier than a tourist one!

·
Registered
531 Posts
The thing is that part of the application asks if you know anybody in Australia. At this point, its probably better to say that she knows you, and maybe a couple of your friends might not mind if she puts them down too. Not sure what it looks like if she wants to visit Australia but doesn't know anybody - maybe somebody else has a different view but I would think thats even worse...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Everyone, just an update to this thread of mine.

My friend and I recently spent time in Singapore (10 days) on holidays again together and she talked about applying for the visa to visit Australia again, early next year (2014).

One thing that has changed in regard her circumstances, is that she has started a new university course to change her career (studying nursing).

Given this new circumstance, I am hoping it will help in any application she makes for the e-visitor as showing she has circumstances to return to Romania.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.