Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have a question, to be a sponsor in case of a partner visa there is a 5 years period that need to be passed before being able to sponsor someone if you have been sponsored yourself. I would like to know if anyone would be able to clarify when this 5 years period starts.

I've read on other sites that the period starts when you first submit your application, in this case as I've submitted my application in April 2013 there wouldn't be long to go to be able to sponsor someone but in the case that the count starts at the visa grant which was December 2015 then I would have to wait 3 more years which changes everything.

I thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It starts when you lodge your application and ends at the time of decision of the further application.
Thanks Westly for your prompt answer.
In order for me to clarify so in my case I have lodge my Partner application in April 2013 and its been granted in December 2015 so I could potentially be a sponsor after April 2018?

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
"if you have been sponsored yourself"

I don't think it applies to you. It is only the sponsors that have the 5 year limit, not the sponsored (applicant).

An applicant can be sponsored any number of times and no time limit between them, but a "sponsor" can only sponsor 2 persons and needs the 5 year wait limit between them.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
"if you have been sponsored yourself"

I don't think it applies to you. It is only the sponsors that have the 5 year limit, not the sponsored (applicant).

An applicant can be sponsored any number of times and no time limit between them, but a "sponsor" can only sponsor 2 persons and needs the 5 year wait limit between them.
The sponsorship limitation applies also to people who have been sponsored for a partner visa themselves and who want to sponsor a new partner for a partner visa application. So it does apply when the sponsored person becomes a sponsor.

The five year period is calculated from the date the first application was lodged until the date the second application is decided. Considering the long processing times, you could lodge the application earlier than 5 years after the first application was lodged. However, you should be careful not to lodge too early, as an application can be assessed (and refused) anytime.

Furthermore, we do not know if the new sponsorship requirements coming into place from 1 July 2017 will affect the ability of a sponsor to lodge the separate sponsorship application, if they are affected by the limitation. In Cedric's case, it would probably be safest to wait until April 2018.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Furthermore, we do not know if the new sponsorship requirements coming into place from 1 July 2017 will affect the ability of a sponsor to lodge the separate sponsorship application,

An excellent post. I think the paragraph above is a safe bet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.